SOIL

Started by
17 comments, last by JTippetts 4 years, 9 months ago

I am trying to use SOIL with OpenGL to make textures, my code compiles but it does not show anything on my screen. here is my code so far.

int width=50, height=50;
unsigned char* image = SOIL_load_image("img.png", &width, &height, 0, SOIL_LOAD_RGB);

void renderScene(void)
{
	glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);
	glColor3f(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);
	glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB, width, height, 0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, image);
	glRectf(90.0f, 20.0f, 130.0f, 10.0f);
	glRectf(100.0f, 10.0f, 120.0f, -10.0f);
	glRectf(80.0f, 5.0f, 100.0f, -5.0f);
	glRectf(90.0f, -10.0f, 130.0f, -20.0f);
	glutSwapBuffers();
}

Advertisement

Did you try to follow some tutorials on the subject ? Your code is... well... like a random set of pieces...

Did you read any documentation about SOIL ?

Did you read the short documentation about the deprecated function glRectf ? Did you see that this function does no texture coordinates at all ?

I  have  updated my code

GLuint linktex; 

void drawSprite(GLint left, GLint right, GLint bottom, GLint top, GLuint texture)
{
	glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture);
	glBegin(GL_QUADS);
	glTexCoord2i(1, 1);
	glVertex2i(right, top);
	glTexCoord2i(1, 0);
	glVertex2i(right, bottom);
	glTexCoord2i(0, 0);
	glVertex2i(left, bottom);
	glTexCoord2i(0, 1);
	glVertex2i(left, top);
	glEnd();
}

void init()
{
	glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
	GLuint linktex = SOIL_load_OGL_texture("img.png", SOIL_LOAD_AUTO, SOIL_CREATE_NEW_ID, SOIL_FLAG_INVERT_Y);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR);
	glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
}

void renderScene(void)
{
	drawSprite(50, 50, 50, 50, linktex);
	glutSwapBuffers();
}

If you call your drawSprite function with these coords, you'll end up with a zero sized quad at x50:y50.You need to setup a camera matrix first and then use 3D coords or create a custom matrix by yourself and use 2D coords if not already done in your code.

Then you need to set your quad to a valid region on screen, either

• -1, 1, 1
  • 1, 1, 1
  • 1, -1, 1
  • -1, -1, 1

or whatever your custom matrix is about. Setting it like above places a quad in front of your implicite 'camera' moved 1 unit away from it so it is inside your view region and you can see it. If anything worked, you should see a white quad. If not, try to turn it arround 180 ° because it may be backside flipped.

The problem is that even the legacy GL needs a view and a projection matrix to have the graphic driver transfrom your coordinates to screen coordinates properly. If you don't do this, the default memory is filled with zeros and anything multiplied with zero is still zero.

Those matrices are 4x4 component matrices, even for 2D so what you have to do is create a proper Perspective or Orthographic matrix first before you could start drawing anything

8 hours ago, phil67rpg said:

I  have  updated my code

glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
	glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);

For anybody else, just to not have aspiring beginners ? copy this: this results in an error in a debug context. glEnable() is for the configurable parts of the pipeline (like depth/stencil/scissor tests) and some other capabilites. Textures otoh are bound to targets and/or shader uniform units.

And that's it from my side. I don't like to be chased around from problem to problem to no purpose and without results.

drawSprite(-50, 50, -50, 50, linktex);
	glutSwapBuffers();
}

I am able to draw a big red square but I want to draw a texture like a sprite 

You disabled textures in the last line of your init function and never enabled them again

@fleabay this is what he wrotes here and as he changed only the render function, I assume the rest of the code stays as it was. The red in the red square comes from glColor3f(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f); he hardcoded into both, the render and drawSprite functions

well I have adjusted my code, according to shaarigan suggested but it still does not work. it draws a big white square.

GLuint linktex; 

void drawSprite(GLint left, GLint right, GLint bottom, GLint top, GLuint texture)
{
//	glColor3f(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);
	glGenTextures(1, &linktex);
	glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture);
	glBegin(GL_QUADS);
	glTexCoord2i(1, 1);
	glVertex2i(right, top);
	glTexCoord2i(1, 0);
	glVertex2i(right, bottom);
	glTexCoord2i(0, 0);
	glVertex2i(left, bottom);
	glTexCoord2i(0, 1);
	glVertex2i(left, top);
	glEnd();
}

void init()
{
	glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
	glEnable(GL_BLEND);
	glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA);
	glFrontFace(GL_CW);
	GLuint linktex = SOIL_load_OGL_texture("img.png", SOIL_LOAD_AUTO, SOIL_CREATE_NEW_ID, SOIL_FLAG_INVERT_Y);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR);
//	glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
}

void renderScene(void)
{
//	glColor3f(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);
	drawSprite(-50, 50, -50, 50, linktex);
	glutSwapBuffers();
}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement