Audio/text logs to deliver world details: How much is enough?

Started by
1 comment, last by ddlox 3 years, 4 months ago

I have a fairly detailed backstory written out for my game. I planning to deliver the exposition through text/audio logs with some cutscenes mixed in. However, how much detail is enough?

Say I have object A that's used at some point of the story. But it is also an environment object that the game characters have seen before. I could have a log describing their interactions with that object. But I'm worried that this mind end up being boring fluff instead of a log that actually delivers story relevant information.

Where do I draw the line in regards to stuff like this?

Advertisement

in art, the solution to avoid having boring Blues and Reds is to mix them and while Purples might emerge from their blending, u will notice that some strokes are short and others are long;

do the same in your game;

have a mix of long and short log descriptions and a mix of relevant information deliveries (important, not-so important, just fyi, etc…);

this will make your game a bit more interesting before it really becomes boring;

in some games not all (boring means repeated), at least yours will not be that ?

have fun ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement