🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Magic Alternatives?

Started by
59 comments, last by Landfish 24 years ago
Ah!
Why not use both ideas. A combination of both ''books'' and ''runes''. To start out with magic, you must go learn a spell, either from a book or another mage. Then, when you know a few spells, you can study them and try making a new spell, only able to use the symbols you have already learned.

That way you wouldn''t have a spell that would blow up in your face at the beginning of your would-be-short career. Also, it allows players to be able to learn modifiers from other types/elements of spells so they don''t need to build up strength in each as slowly as the first time. Just require the sequencing to be different for each type to prevent instant mastery of a new type of magic.
Advertisement

"Runes of a long forgotten time
Ancient spells in endless rhymes
Soon the other world appears

Sail by the ghostly river Rhine
Leave the misty shades behind
I can see i''m getting near."
Demons&Wizards (c) 2000

Yes learning spells and contribute with your own ones.
But i believe there should be a special language(that was mentioned before but i think it is a major topic) for casting spells, a magic language coming from the depths of time.You can''t just speak english and cast!
Voodoo4
Here these words vilifiers and pretenders, please let me die in solitude...
That''s why I reffered to them as symbols. They''d be more pictographic/ideagraphic than phonic. Perhaps it would be required to posess the item the spell was written on. That way the item would be the conduit and the person an invoker.

I didn''t really think about how the spell would sound when it was chanted. Maybe it just be a series of utterances?

As for implementation, I was thinking of the symbols as a scripting language. There would be a ''grammer'' for each type of magic. Also, the spells could be written on medium other than paper; people, trees, rocks, buildings, etc. This could allow for avatars {people who lose control of their bodies while summoned gods inhabit them}, sacred areas, traps, and so on.
Somebody misinterpreted what I was saying. What I meant was, have a system where you can experiment with spells and deal with gross and powerful consequences, BUT Tomes of knowledge or teachers could help you to do this in ways that won''t kill you. That way you fear experimentation until you find an authority.

The player would actually read something like: "the water rune deos not mix well with the Air rune... be surte you are very practiced before undertaking such a transmutation." If the player ignores that advice he risks the consequences. Follow?
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
quote: Original post by Landfish

Somebody misinterpreted what I was saying. What I meant was, have a system where you can experiment with spells and deal with gross and powerful consequences, BUT Tomes of knowledge or teachers could help you to do this in ways that won''t kill you. That way you fear experimentation until you find an authority.

The player would actually read something like: "the water rune deos not mix well with the Air rune... be surte you are very practiced before undertaking such a transmutation." If the player ignores that advice he risks the consequences. Follow?

Yes, I see what you mean. And I think it sounds good.

But all I''m saying is that maybe you shouldn''t let the player fear experimenting so much that you kill the players desire and motivation to explore the game.

I think it could be fun to be able to do something along the line of the following: "Hmmm, I know that the Air rune together with the Water rune produces heavy rain. Now, I combine the Air rune and the Fire rune, it will probaly rain meteors!"

The example is pretty far fetched (and far too simple), but I hope you get the point. It would be great to be able to combine existing knowlegde about how the magic system works into new effects. Of course there should be some combinations which are fatal to discourage random guessing but please don''t make it so fatal that the user do not dare to try out his new combination without first having read a book that say it''s OK to do so.

Regards

nicba
While it is wise to design all risks with a worthy reward, it is wise also to design all rewards with a worthy risk!

=)
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Your idea is good Landfish,but i''m sorry to say this the word mixing and the word teacher remind me chemistry.
But i think experimenting with magic under the guidance of an experienced "teacher" is very good.
But i will insist that there must be a unique casting "language".
I really liked SonicSilcion''s idea about a symbol language.
Anyway,excuse the "chemistry" reference above but it''s these exams i''m having...
Voodoo4
quote: Original post by Landfish

I think the success or failure of such a system depends largely on your target audience. I also said this for your summoning idea, so they go hand in hand.

Niche market: people who play your game will understand and appreciate what you are trying to do. Others may play and leave, but you don''t mind as you value the quality of your players rather than quantity.

Mass market: people play your game expecting to be entertained. Disclaimers on the box about ''frivolous gods'' or ''unpredictable magics'' mean nothing to the player who spent a lot of time (and money?) building up a character that nuked himself with his first home-grown fireball. Or when a lesser demon rushes onscreen from someone else''s summoning and chews him up. They may resent having to rely on other players to learn magic. They may even have problems with it: language barrier, for instance?

People pay to be in control Even if your game is free, most Europeans pay by the minute for their internet access, so if they are part of your target audience don''t underestimate the cost. Also, time spent on your game is time they can''t spend elsewhere, so it ''costs'' them something. They like to see that, when they do well,or try hard, they are rewarded. The only thing more frustrating than to do well and still be ''punished'' for it, is to have invested time and/or money into it as well
That''s why mass market games use Point systems. Once you eliminate points playerside, you have to go with one of these "wierd" systems to balance power.

I hate mass media, mass advertising, mass marketing. Massive gaming could be good, so long as people think for themselves... (Gee, didn''t see that one coming out of my mouth, did you?)
And isn''t it stupid to count things that are uncountable?
Health,defense,resistance,dexterity,power,intelligence,magic and much more.

We have just get used to it that''s why to most of us it seems totally natural.But if you consider this more clearly you can see for example how naive is a numeric health indicator.You count your health as you count your money.And the most weird of all the hero is acting the same at 1% as he would act in 100%!!.

I liked Diablo''s health indicator and all indicators like it, but the problem of acting normally at every health stage is really pissing me off!
I don''t disagree that there must be simplicity.
But we''re talking about games that implement realism!

And you can''t count my intelligence!

To Landfish:
Yeah,mass media and market are really a pain in the ass.
And i get really outraged when i hear about globalization.
I really hate it.
Voodoo4

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement