🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Landscape or hexa strategy games are better ?

Started by
3 comments, last by Vikcy 24 years ago
We are developing a game, this will be a Medeival-fantasy strategy turn-based game( ''cause we have only one programmer) but we don''t know wich to prefer: landscape or hexa ? So, tell me your opinion, which one is better,and why ? Eljen Magyarorszag !!!
" de sagittis ungarorum libera nos Domine"West-European pray in 900AD
Advertisement
Could you elaborate a bit?

I guess you´ll be using hexes anyway to do the math. But you don´t necessarily need to show them to the player...

you can use aligned squares (heroes of might and magic serie), hex grid (AOW), or a serie of squares offset by 1/2 their size every other raw to simulate an hex grid without all the burden associated with it.

can you developp a bit on your game? will it be like warlord, age of wonders, heroes of MM???
Delphi::Athena
Well, we are just about to download Age of Wonders, so we don''t know it, but our game won''t be like Heroes of ...I mean it is a pure TACTICAL, not STRATEGIC game ( Even i don''t think about it as an RPG...)Our game will be an all-embrace strategic RPG,in wich you can buy, hire, etc. units (all usual species in RPGs,like elven-my favourite)you can mine raw materials, produce goods, weapons, armour,arm your troops as you wish and much more, so, its not absolutely clear, is under heavy constuction, but I hope, you will be hear about us.... !!

But the point of my original question was the next:Wich is the better appearance for a turnbased strat. game :hexa,like in Panzer ...,landscape like in Warzone, Myth.. or izometric 2.5D
like in heroes of M&M

So, Hase, my question was about only the appearance.BTW, you are very close to us,might you join us..(like a new Austro-Hungarian Monarc.. )

Hmm, another thought: 2,5D looks better, but your movement is limited, isn''t it ?

Eljen Magyarorszag !!!
" de sagittis ungarorum libera nos Domine"West-European pray in 900AD
I recommend going with offset squares, which is a form of hex map but the tiles look like squares. It makes the programming much easier but you get the benefits of hexes. Some of the pathfinding is easier with hexes, to get it looking nice. You will want to go with tiles of course instead of something more freeform, especially if this is your first or second project.

Also I wouldn''t use a normal x,y coordinate system. Have the y axis be vertical but have the x axis diagonal, increasing down and to the right. It makes things much easier.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement