🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Movie & game should be combined to create a perfect gaming experience!

Started by
31 comments, last by Hans 24 years ago
Being Australian - I think I''m supposed to be trying to be like america, and embrace all this hollywood gossip (do you have any idea how crap the newspapers are down here nowadays). We get al sorts of garbage about who is dating who in hollywood.

But frankly my dear, I don''t give a damn. (I don''t know if that''s correct)

But anyway. Hollywood thinks it has somethign to offer every industry in the world. As soon as you give it a huge window into "offering" something to the gaming industry it''ll take it. Movie to game adaptations have never worked, and this could be disastrous.

The idea might work fine to begin with, as long as the continuation is good and the movie doesn''t cover too much ground (90 minutes would be a little too long) but soon enough we''ll see a whole bunch of wierd ass B-grade gamovies (pronounced gay-movies hehe) and this could damage the games industry more than it already is.

Doom would''ve seemed like a good idea at the time too, and it sold well, and now we just have clone after clone even in these modern times so many years later.
Advertisement
Actually - before anyone takes that post the wrong way, I''m saying that it may start out as having nothing to do with hollywood movies and stuff, but it wouldn''t be too long before it does.
I remember when DVD drives first came out for PCs there were "movie/games" but I only remeber playing one about the navy for a few minutes. I think that the only answer for this solution would be to have the game not on CDs but DVDs
Hollywood has forgotten how to break it''s own rules. But people are sheep. They will continue to suckle at the proverbail tit of mass media until if they are lucky, they will break free into the vast expanse of thier own intelligence.

We are trained from birth to be part of a whole. Sometimes we forget that the whole is made up of individuals. It''s not about being "part of the herd" or "an individual", they are one and the same. Money loves to define people as it''s vessel to move back and forth in the world. Sometimes it doesn''t seem at all like we invented it.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
When Star Trek''s "Holodeck" technology becomes reality, I''ll play. Otherwise, forget it.

Computer, end program!
JeranonGame maker wannabe.
For a truly awful example of how not to make a cinematic game, check out Tender Loving Care.

About memory requirements - why have the movie run via the game''s engine? It''s a movie, no variables, why not just prerender the whole thing and put it on a dvd?

One other vitally important thing - put in a pause button!

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

You''re a little late Hans. I''ve already started one. I call it an Interactive Movie. It''s a lot like the Choose Your Own Adventure books. You choose what to do and where to go, and it plays for you. Some of it you play yourself, like battle scenes and stuff, but mostly it''s a movie. There''ll be more info on that at my new site when it comes up later this summer.

Top quality games don''t kick ass as well as these.

http://danavision.homestead.com

Prepare to be blown away!
-------------------------

Magic Card
-----------------------------A world destroyed, a myth rebord. Some truths should remain untold...Check out NightRise today, coming eventually from DanAvision Software Entertainment.http://www.danavisiongames.com
''For a truly awful example of how not to make a game...''

That means its a good example of how to make a game. I think you mean:

''For a truly awful example of how to make a game...''

-----------------------------

A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."
-----------------------------A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."The Micro$haft BSOD T-Shirt
90-120 min movie, must have a DVD writer to do this amount of video.

Besides, most people just want to get in there and hack a few limbs off.
-----------------------------------------------All messages are of my own personal opinion and not meant to offend. But if they do - tough :)Neuro.
For my two bits, I think this is a good idea, and I may try to use it someday. I don''t think the movie should be absolutely necessary - that kind of violates the KISS principle. If the movie clarifies the events of the game, that''s enough for me.

If I did something like this, I might ship two editions of the game, one with and one without the movie. Taking a loss on a new format is a common way to create a new niche, after all, and once you''d gone through the process once, you''d be poised to seize the day if it panned out.

mikey
mikey

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement