🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

No more RPGs!

Started by
68 comments, last by Landfish 24 years ago
Right as you are, Naz, this isn''t just about the title. It''s about the whole series of assumptions that comes with the RPG label. In a way, every weird post I make is eating away at assumptions like that... but somehow also contributing to the problem.

I''ve been saying, how can we change... how can we improve? But I should be saying: "Take nothing for granted, and make sure everything in the game serves a purpose to *that* game!"

Hey, guess what! I learned something from GDNet! *That''s* why I come here....
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Advertisement
Yeah, I realized you meant all the assumptions that come w/ the label. I may not comprehend Zen, but I''m not totally idiotic..well maybe sometimes but that''s another story....
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Not comprehending Zen IS comprehending zen, Naz.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
It''s funny that I''ve been thinking about the very same things tonight, and I must say I agree.

Another thing I have found wrong with the current crop of what''s still being called "RPG"s, is that they try to map out an entire paper/pencil CAMPAIGN, without taking care of the adventures. A single RPG game should be either a single adventure, or a linked series of adventures for a single-themed campaign. Linear yea or nae, it matters not.

All we want is the setting, and the level of control over our character''s actions.
The rest is a bunch of TLAs ( Three Letter Acronym ).

If it''s fun, they''ll play.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment..
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Well, then I am comprehending Zen like a son of a #!@!#. Or not comprehending it...I''m not sure anymore...
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
quote: Original post by MadKeithV

If it''s fun, they''ll play.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment..
~ (V)^/) /<é!t/-/ ~

Truer words have never been spoken.

Naz: It looks like you''re getting it after all....
I think I see...You just say one thing then the opposite, then you sound very Eastern and wise. It''s pretty easy...And those Zen masters had us thinking they were so smart
SSSHHHHHH! (They''ll hear you!)
quote: Original post by SpazBoy_the_Mitey

I fully agree with Landfish here. We should be trying to NOT
write to a genre, everyone should have a natural style that
shows in their games. Let the game players/reviewers/marketing
people decide what pigeon hole to stick your work into. Just
make it a natural thing.
Disco Love For Everyone

Have a look at the thread "Is a game design ever finished" it''s relavent here i think.

The measure of intelligence is in the question not the answer.
Agree with all.

I think the good word for the RPG are ''Interactive Storytelling''.

This the kind of game I''ve designed, if you ask me why I did not have designed an RPG it''s because like you I didn''t find any good way to make one.

Even thinking about MMORPG, I can''t found any good way to create a RPG.

I''ve not seen much true RPG (pen & paper) in my life.
Many people are just doing level up, many other are monster killers, a few play a role, and a few create action/story rather than following it.

With the inacurate RPG name of even the pen & paper games, are you surprised to see that Computer RPG are not RPG ?

I''m not.

-* So many things to do, so few time to spend *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement