🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Adventure games anyone?

Started by
16 comments, last by Anthracks 24 years ago
Given all the hoopla over RPG''s going on here, I thought I''d try and start up on what''s, for my money, the best type of game: the Adventure game. I don''t mean "action adventures" like Tomb Raider, I''m talking about the relatively old-school adventures like the Monkey Island, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, etc series. For me, these games take some of the best elements of RPG''s, mainly the story, social interaction and puzzle solving bits, and strip away all the leveling nonesense (which while entertaining, wears thin for me after hours of play). I think if I ever made a serious attempt at creating a game, this is the genre I''d want to work in. Given that, I''d love to bounce ideas around with any other adventure fans who''re hopefully in this forum! Any aspect of adventures really; the story, or more technical aspects like how the devil they do pathfinding and shrinking the main character with distance, or how you''d setup scripts for the game. I think I''m rambling now. So anyway, if there''s anyone out here who''s also into adventures and maybe discussing their development, give me a shout Anthracks
Advertisement
I agree.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
I guess it´s more the other way round, RPGs take some of the best elements of RPGs....

But yes, I´m a fan of the old style adventure (Larry, King´s Quest...and the rest of them)

The problem is that the really good adventure has two or more possible endings nowadays (like Bladerunner) and is just too much work to do for a hobbyist.

And even for the biguns.... as they don´t sell very good ...
remember when that sierra branch closed? No more Space Quest ever!

When I was in my first year of computer sciences, I started to create an adventure called ''Legacy of your ancients'' (LOYA)! It was meant to be an adventure in the real sense of the word. True interaction with to gameworld, gamepeople and gameobjects.
Too bad that all my fellow creators failed their exams and went their ways.
I still must have most of the original ideas from back then (1995). But I never again got together a team to continue the quest for a real adventure...

Arvid Claassen
Talking of adventure games and the Monkey Island series, can''t wait for the next installment. If they were not profitable they would not be making number 4 - I think its just that you have to find the right combination of challenge and funnies.
-----------------------------------------------All messages are of my own personal opinion and not meant to offend. But if they do - tough :)Neuro.
I''m not sure how great the next installment will be, since they''re moving it to a 3d engine (I think the Grim Fandango one?). I sort of liked the pixelated original version more than the others But as long as it''s a good game that''s what really matters; the dated graphics did help create the silly mood I love about the series though.

Anthracks
I agree, I think for each installment as I played it I thought the engine had been greatly improved (I have played them from the beginning - ie got the first one on my old Amiga).

Number 3''s engine I thought was great , but now with this new 3D one and new inputs? I dunno, but still will buy and play it cause the content will be as good I think.
-----------------------------------------------All messages are of my own personal opinion and not meant to offend. But if they do - tough :)Neuro.
I''m partial to the QFG series which was closed down like all of the others. QFG was like an original adventure with a slight RPG attack spin, which was awesome in my opinion.

Guardian Angel Interactive
Have any of you played Sanitarium? I thought that was a great game. Some of the puzzles were a bit odd, but I really liked the story and especially the atmosphere. It was all so wierd. It felt like you were really in a deranged man''s head seeing the same twisted things he did. It was damn creepy; I wish more games could convey their atmosphere like that.

Anthracks
Castlevania was like that. The atmosphere was so scary! I found myself jumping off of my seat when a vampire screached out of nowhere! That game had some of the best atmosphere I''ve ever seen!

Guardian Angel Interactive

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement