🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Adventure games anyone?

Started by
16 comments, last by Anthracks 24 years ago
quote: Original post by Anthracks

Have any of you played Sanitarium? I thought that was a great game. Some of the puzzles were a bit odd, but I really liked the story and especially the atmosphere. It was all so wierd . It felt like you were really in a deranged man''s head seeing the same twisted things he did. It was damn creepy; I wish more games could convey their atmosphere like that.

Anthracks

I loved Sanitarium, although the dead child in the wagon was a bit over-the top. On the other hand, there have been a lot of horror Adventure games recently. (Relatively speaking, of course. There are never a lot of adventure games.) What I would like to see are some that try for a sense of wonder - capture the emotional impact of that scene in Jurassic park where the dad and kids stumble onto the meadow teeming with dinosaurs, for example. For some reason there have been a lot of astonishingly bad (in the sense of having no character development or story line) RPGs lately: Reah, for example, and probably The Crystal Key, but I haven''t finished it yet, so I''m reserving judgement.

What about this problem of the limited number of puzzle-types that exist? I think one could find almost every type in Jewels of the Oracle alone. I''m thinkin gof things like the Tower of Hanoi, Water Subtraction, Jumping Pegs, Sliding Tiles, Maze (and variants like anti-maze and maze with obstacles that need pushed into a hole or onto targets), N-ominoes, etc. Say, does a list of these exist somewhere? Maybe I should write one... Anyway, recent Adventure games seem to not consider it necessary to invent new types of puzzles, and I find this to be a flaw.

For the curious, here''s my list of puzzle virtues:

Puzzles’ existence and style should make sense within the plot.
A puzzle walkthrough should be included with the game.
Puzzles should require application of real-world principles, and deductive and inductive reasoning.
It should be easy and convenient to re-attempt a puzzle.
A solved puzzle should stay solved.
No timing or dexterity puzzles.
Puzzle-necessary items should be impossible to sell or waste.

For my money, a winning Adventure game is one that combines this type of puzzles with an interestingly twisted story, real character development, and decent art.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
I''m making my own adventure game this summer. The designs were started in January.

- DarkMage139
"Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!"
"Originality (in games) is the spice of life!"
- DarkMage139
A friend of mine and me have been working on a lot of ideas for a game modeling monkey island...the third part. We are sick of all the 3d engine stuff, and we''ve played MI from the start also. Most of the time we sit around playing all these games, and no matter what the game...we always say "they should have put...in there". So we decided to write our own, and we''ve actually been developing the ideas for about 2 years now, and i''m finally to the point where i think i can start writing the code...but anyone in the green bay area reading this that would be interested in helping out on this...drop me a line: packerfan@itol.com

The world is just an illusion, thought is the reality of our existence.
The world is just an illusion, thought is the reality of our existence.
Packerfan, if you don''t mind sharing I''d be interested in hearing how you intend to do pathfinding and collision detection in your engine. I''ve been studying the SCUMM engine (monkey island, indiana jones, maniac mansion...) and what they do is basically setup a bunch of connected four-sided polygons and then have a lookup table which describes which polygons you need to go through and in which order to get to your destination. See this for a better explanation than that crap I just wrote

This seems like a reasonable approach except for the fact that I can''t think of any way to make that lookup table short of doing it by hand, which for more than a couple polygons would suuuuuuck. Just curious how you intend to do it, since it''s a fairly important aspect of an adventure engine

Anthracks
I love all adventure games (mostly the LucasArts ones...westwood and sierra ones are pretty good, too). Here is my reasoning for why MI4 will be great:

- Seems like a good plot from the press release

- All of the fav''s are back (Guybrush, Elaine, Stan, LeChuck)

- The project leads also were in charge of Sam & Max.

And to dispell the thought, the engine is NOT GrimEngine, because Grim used a stationary camera with prerendered backgrounds (like resident evil, for those of you who never played Grim Fandango). Escape from MI is FULLY 3D, with a moving camera and so on.

------------------------------
Changing the face of adventure gaming...
Atypical Interactive
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive
The old 2D adventures are excellent:
-Monkey Island Series
-Leisure Suit Larry Series
-Day of the tentacle
-Sam&Max
-Maniac Mansion
-Dark Seed
-Indiana Jones
and more...

Now i don''t know if the Escape from MI is going to have this succes.I really hated Grim F. and i don''t think it was the prerendered backgrounds that did this!

I''m think lately making an adventure game in isometric view style.I''m almost done with the main engine but i don''t know if it will succed or if i will return to the RPG idea.
Voodoo4
Sorry for the anonimity
Voodoo4
Here these words vilifiers and pretenders, please let me die in solitude...
Quest for Glory introduces alot of new puzzles and puzzles that I've never seen since into it's games.

Most, by most people anyway, aren't considered puzzles. I think they are, but they are just often overlooked.

In QFG5: Dragon Fire, as a thief you can rob the bank. The first time there are 2 guards that need to be black jacked before entering the bank. That's simple enough.

The 2nd time around, there are 3 guards walking the plaza. You have to study their patterns for a bit, then you have to time everything just right. If you black jack a certain guard to early or to late another guard will see you. It took me a few tries but was really fun!

If you play as a wizard or a paladin, you can solve the bank robbery, which takes logic and puzzle solving skills.

Throughout the game as a thief you have to plan your strikes on various houses, mansions, and castles.

Guardian Angel Interactive

Edited by - Tiso on June 26, 2000 3:37:34 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement