🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

why are developers and publishers tight?

Started by
2 comments, last by stevenmarky 24 years ago
modern structured programming is all about re-usability ect, so how come game developers won''t let anyone have any of their source code or level editors? I know there''s a couple of open-source games, mostly 3D shooters that do, but hardly any others. Is it because the developers are scared the other development teams are scared they will get wised up and make a better game? if so they should release the game editor and source code, say a year later. Releasing the code would make the whole game scene go faster, thats a good thing is''nt it? I would really, really like to get my hands on the code or editors behind some of the big games like Final Fantasy 8, it would be awsome. //end
Advertisement
A game's code is basically money. The developers would be giving away years of development that they invested their own time and money into. Think about how much money ID has gotten by selling the use of their engines to others. Sure, it would be nice if they just gave it away, but I can't blame them for not giving it away.

Edited by - Nazrix on June 23, 2000 1:28:08 AM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Well also, often times they base new projects off the old code. So by giving away their old code, they''re, in effect, giving away some code that they are using.
That, and some tools are archaic and hard to use, not to mention require $5000+ in other tools to use....

5) If you get source code for a game, you can also forge info saying that you wrote the game first - not as likely to happen.

4) If you have the source code, what is to keep you from building it without the copy protection schemes, getting the data files form a bud, and selling pirated copies?

3) If you have the source code, what is there to keep you from simply writing your own (potentially better) game from it?

2) If you have the source code, what is there to keep you from writing in multiplayer cheats?

1) If you have the source code, so does the publisher/developer''s competition.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement