🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Submissive Tyrants Welcome

Started by
35 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 24 years ago
True; players don''t know what they want before they play it; just make something you like, and if it''s good, people will like it (Pulp Fiction = good, no formula, noone knew people would like it, since it was good, people did like it); and if they don''t like it, fuck, at least you have created something you liked!
--------------------------Ghosts crowd the young child's fragile eggshell mind...
Advertisement
I agree about Hollywood, Landfish...I am at the point where I can hardly stand anything that isn't on the unusual and original side. Watching anything w/ a predictable formula just about turns my stomach. There's nothing better than seeing a movie, and not knowing 90% of the plot before seeing it. Being John Malkovich is good recent example IMO. It was just really out there, and every portion of the movie was totally unpredictable.

Edited by - Nazrix on June 25, 2000 2:20:14 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Hmmmm, Nazzlie, maybe that''s why we get along. BTW, I wanted Nazzie to be your nickname, but that''d be a little close to the title of a facist dictatorship from about fifty years ago. So Nazzlie it is. =)
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Yeah, we kinda think alike, LF.

Yeah, this is nothing like a facist dictatorship. I'm getting forced to use a different name

Edited by - Nazrix on June 25, 2000 3:04:51 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Down With LandFish!

J
How''s that for short?
quote: Original post by Niphty

How''s that for short?

!LF

That''s shorter.
Can we stick to the topic pleeease. :-)

WE are their,
"Sons of the Free"
Hmm, why are you guys discussing a question you must
decide on each and one individually anyway?

How''s that for short?

PS. I prefer to do my own thing, always. But I also notice
that I am not in sync with the rest of the pack. The things
I appreciate are ignored/misunderstood, cause there is no
immediate "coolness" attached. Originality/individuality
is seldom merited, in fact so seldom, it is not even worth
the effort in this entertainment industry. You gonna buy
Duke 3 anyway, you know what you get for the hard earned cash.
There are two problems with listening to consumers

1 = You can''t please them all because more often that not one day the big news will be to do things one way, then the next day the next group consumers that like to see their opinions voiced will say something completely different

2 - If the consumer has proverbially consumed, then if they say something should be done differently, then it''s possible they didn''t have an informed position on the state of whatever kind of game they thought should be different and it might''ve been aimed at a different audience anyway.

It''s hard not to be pulled in all directions and that''s why we always play it so safe because it''s a big risk to
a) respond to something the consumers say and
b) not respond to something consumers say

The problem is, eventually the formula will get tired. This is why there area few games out there that only do little special things (nothing amazing) and yet are still amazing successes. It''s not that consumers are morons, but they are never quite sure what they really want until you serve it up to them (like a restaurant, how will you know that the pasta dish will be crap?).

And also about games not being taken seriously as a medium of taking people for a journey, I still stand by that. The idea of listening to the consumer means also that you are attempting to appeal to the mass market. This means that there are certain things that the large market aren''t very interested in (although how do we know until we try? hehe), which means that these journey''s aren''t sellable.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement