🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

More than Eye Candy

Started by
1 comment, last by DarkMage139 23 years, 12 months ago
While we''ve all been wrapped up discussing RPGs, there''s another matter I''d like to bring to the light. First Person Shooters. Some of us criticize them because a lot were just a bunch of mindless shooting and not enough gameplay or story. Well, how about doing something about it? What if we combined a FPS with an adventure game or something. For instance, what if there was a game where you could talk to people and interact like an RPG, but you could go and fight as if in a FPS. Another example is Thief. We could take a step further and actually roleplay (this may become another RPG discusson, but I can''t help it... it''s my personal nature). I''ll leave the rest up to you... - DarkMage139 "Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!" "Originality (in games) is the spice of life!"
- DarkMage139
Advertisement
I think FPS''s can and have been fun without need to hybrid it to other genres. Most gamers including the hardcore RPG''s would have a favourite FPS-non-hybrid.

There''s is an awful lot that can be done in FPS''s. So much potential to make killer games i don''t think its funny.

I think theme goes a long way with making a game more enjoyable.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
I think Deus Ex and Half-Life are two examples of FPS''s that aren''t mindless. In fact, I think mindless FPS is becoming a minority now. Even a game like Unreal Tournament is very mind engaging when playing in teams for something like Capture the Flag. To me, Free For All Deathmatch with 20 players is the only mindless FPS nowadays.

Kevin

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement