🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Landfishian Literature

Started by
39 comments, last by SonicSilcion 23 years, 11 months ago
In Landfish''s absence, I bring you some Landfish-like reading. Here''s an article on game design written by the producer of "Deus Ex", Warren Spector. If you feel like discussing it, go right ahead and post here. -----Sonic Silicon-----
Advertisement
I tried to read it, but at five AM it''s difficult to read the very words you''ve been pondering over for the last ten months. I''ll have another go tomorrow.

PS- thanks for the ego rub...

-landfish
Wow, I wonder if the guy who wrote that article knows he''s spewing Landfishian philosophy as if he can read Landfish''s mind.

Landifsh, how are you going to catch up w/ Nes8bit, if you keep posting as anon
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
It''s a very good article, if a little wordy..
So many things are in there, that we''ve been discussing here!

Perhaps it serves as a good starting point for a new long discussion.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
quote:
Perhaps it serves as a good starting point for a new long discussion.

I''m sure it will, Keith...Long discussions are inevidible on this board...

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." --William Blake
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
quote: Original post by Nazrix
Landifsh, how are you going to catch up w/ Nes8bit, if you keep posting as anon

heh. Landfish is pulling a me.

And it''s funny.

------------------------
Captured Reality
The name "Landfish" is just a name... a name that was creating confusion. I felt that some people weren''t REALLY reading the posts I was making, instead choosing to opposed them without understanding them... all because of the wieght that the word "landfish" has started to carry around here. By posting anon, I might being forcing them to consider my words as those of any of you.

If I really wanted to raise my GDNet "level", I''d be a COMPLETE hippocrite, no wouldn''t I?
Very profound, Landfish. Glad that you''ve proved that you didn''t post here just to climb the arbitrary "number of posts" status ladder.

Though I like Landfish a lot and agree with many of his ideas, I do find it rather disturbing that people call the ideas of Warren Spector "Landfishian," when in fact Spector is nationally renowned for proverbially thinking outside the box. Just because Landfish has brought many ideas to our minds, does not mean that he was the original creator of the idea or that someone else could not think it up independantly.

I think that Landfish posting anonymously will help us realize that it is in fact the WORDS and the MESSAGE that are important ... not the person who is saying them.

------------------------------
Changing the future of adventure gaming...
Atypical Interactive
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive
Having finally found the time to read the whole thing, I have reached a verdict... the document is not *truly* landfishian. Landfish was WAY more of an anarchist than this guy. However, he is right about the careful examination of the tools you choose, and some of his more idealist moments slightly resembled the beginnings of a Landfish rant.

But generally, I think if this Spector chap ever had a go with the landfish, he''d write him off as a complete psycho. And he''d be right! But on to a serious discussion.

I think he was holding back. I feel like he wanted to lash out at something, but had too much common sense. He likely understood that anger achieves nothing. Oh well. He seems to believe in games evolving to a more... signifigant medium, just as Landfish did. (did... get it?)

I think the role of combat is the first thing that will change everything. There are so many more levels upon which a great story can happen to a player, or a player can forge a great story. (it really happens both ways, huh?) Like he said in the article, how will games be when they can support things like seduction, blackmail... not with abstract systems but with a sultry look or a cold, thin stare.

This WILL NOT happen if we allow combat to hold the stage. Let''s face it, there are those who are simply living out their testosterone aspiring fantasies, power tirps of the male ego driven to the millionth degree. Pen & Paper RPGs have long since evolved out of this, while leaving the old school for those who have the patience for it. We really did forge a new standard when players stopped keeping track of thier cash to the penny.

I''m adamant about this absolute death thing. I think it *could* be such a step in the right direction, but it must be handled with caution.

So... having read the article, a "professional" opinion, do you guys feel you''ve gleaned any more understanding of Landfish''s old ramblings? If so, I shudder to think that he was saying the exact same thing, and yet few listened? Or didn''t they?

ENOUGH RAMBLING!
quote:
I felt that some people weren't REALLY reading the posts I was making, instead choosing to opposed them without understanding them...

...or choosing to agree with them without reading them...

Only thing is, anyone who uses their brain for a few seconds knows it's your post anyway

However, the people who don't notice that is really you are the ones who were opposing you without reading the posts first.

It's like some sort of natural secletion...

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." --William Blake

Edited by - Nazrix on July 8, 2000 4:13:21 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement