🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Unknown Genres

Started by
8 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 11 months ago
What i wanted to do is work out which games don''t fit into a genre at all, example frogger. I''m quite interested to know how many there would be. So i''d like to start a list of games here that either don''t fit into a known genre or are a genre in their own nature (breakout). So please feel free to contribute at will :-) Off the top of my head: 1. Frogger 2. Breakout I also wish to add to this topic but i will either start a new thread for this or add it later to this. Thank you. I love Game Design and it loves me back. Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
I can''t think of what genre pacman fits into, so I guess that''s one. Actually, quite a few of those old games are genreless.

One obscure example I remember is Volcano on the BBC micro. You had to rescue people by flying over an errupting volcano in a helecopter, dodging ash and rocks. It was fun.

I think the difference now is that people are making games primarily to make money, so the creative side goes out of the window. Generally speaking, it''s much more profitable to stick with something that is tried and tested than to go and do something that''s totally new.

http://www.geocities.com/ben32768

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

Er, I''ve always seen this labeled as ''Action'' or ''Arcade''. But are Action and Arcade truly genres? Are the game you list truly genres? A definition of genre would certainly help.
..from dictonary.com....

genre n

1: a kind of literary or artistic work

2: a style of expressing yourself in writing [syn: writing style, literary genre]

3: a class of artistic endeavor having a characteristic form or technique

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[French from Old French kind, from Latin genus, gener-; see gen- in Indo-European Roots.]

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." --William Blake

Edited by - Nazrix on July 7, 2000 12:12:36 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
quote: Original post by Nazrix

..from dictonary.com....

genre n

1: a kind of literary or artistic work

2: a style of expressing yourself in writing [syn: writing style, literary genre]

3: a class of artistic endeavor having a characteristic form or technique

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[French from Old French kind, from Latin genus, gener-; see gen- in Indo-European Roots.]

I would agree to go with the 3rd definition here for the sake of argument.

Maybe we should start at the top with the term taxonomy. Then we can ask if "Genre" the first sub bracket there under?

We can also ask what are games (in the taxonomy sence) elements:
1. Traits
2. Cultures
3. Objectives
and more i guess

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
quote: Original post by Paul Cunningham

What i wanted to do is work out which games don''t fit into a genre at all, example frogger. I''m quite interested to know how many there would be. So i''d like to start a list of games here that either don''t fit into a known genre or are a genre in their own nature (breakout).

So please feel free to contribute at will :-)

Off the top of my head:
1. Frogger
2. Breakout

I also wish to add to this topic but i will either start a new thread for this or add it later to this. Thank you.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

Paul,
Wouldn''t Frogger be classified as a jump and run? Or a platformer?
Just a question... not intended as a _poke_.

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
quote: Original post by Dak Lozar

Paul,
Wouldn''t Frogger be classified as a jump and run? Or a platformer?
Just a question... not intended as a _poke_.

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser

As memory serves me correctly, frogger was a top view game which means its definitly not a platform game. I''ve never heard of a jump ''n run genre myself either? I guess it was just one of those games. Yeah?

Our Goal is "Fun"!
jump-n-run is like a lode runner, or side scroller type game I think.

JoeMont001@aol.com | www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Frogger is arcade. Arcade style had limited movements and controls which could be operated with a joystick or directional pad and a couple buttons at most.. i believe. No arcade games today technically meet the old arcade game specs.. but the genre has changed with time.. can''t beat that Pacman is the same, arcade. They''re a single-screen in which you have limited movement and obivous goals.. hehe.

J
I''d agree with niphty (which is a cool way of spelling it, i might add...) Frogger, Pacman, asteroids, and all of those other games people used to play at arcades would fall under an arcade category. Of course, the new pacman doesn''t...it''s more of a platform game.

WNDCLASSEX Reality;......Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;......RegisterClassEx(&Reality);Unable to register Reality...what's wrong?---------Dan Uptonhttp://0to1.orghttp://www20.brinkster.com/draqza

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement