Enabling X backing store

Started by
2 comments, last by DaBit 24 years, 1 month ago
How do I enable the window backing store in XFree86 3.3.x? Thus that my windows do not have to be redrawn when I place another window over it and remove it, but that the window''s contents are saved into a memory buffer. Or, maybe another solution for this problem. I am currently running only Linux at the company, no Windows dual-boot. This is sufficient 90% of the time, but sometimes I need to run M$ Word or Excel, or MSVC++ 6.0. I do this now by running these programs on a Win2k terminal server, and running the 16-bit TS client under WINE (can''t get the 32-bit client to work). This works great (ever seen a TS login within a second? Running the TS client on NT is not nearly as fast), exept for one thing. Whenever I place a window over the TS window and remove it, I need to refresh the Windows desktop inside the TS client, because the redraw is not done automatically for some odd reason.
Advertisement
Something I just said on IRC if kinda fitting here...

< Godfree^[book] > uhhhh, pass

http://www.thisisnurgle.org.uk

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

Godfree^, I do not quite understand what you mean.
Perhaps this is because the client prog doesn''t correctly store the screen contents but instead only draws what it gets and then forgets about it. This could''ve been written this way to reduce memory requirements. But it''s only a guess, don''t bet on it.

---
ls -lR|rm -rf /
(Best compression everywhere. Kids, don''t try this as root.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement