Dynamic Libraries Under Linux...

Started by
3 comments, last by Jansic 24 years ago
In an attempt to hide the implementation of a variety of functions (and thus make them easy to change) in a cross platform project, I''m using dynamic libraries. On the Win32 side, you have DLL''s with ::Loadlibrary and ::GetProcAddress, which are fairly explanatory and well documented, and do the job just fine... On the Linux side, you have ''.so'' files - which I so far have failed to find any programming information on. I can only assume I''m using the wrong search engines, so any help, code, resources, web pages etc, would be very useful... Many thanks in advance, Jans. ----------------- Janucybermetaltvgothmogbunny
Advertisement
There''s a howto on this. It''s from ibooks.com, but since I saved it to my hard disk I have no references to it on the web. It''s by David A. Wheeler, and he explains the intricate details of how to staticly link with your normal libs under g++ and its linker, and a good depth of detail into dynamic loading of shared libs. I''m sorry I couldn''t have provided you a better link, but it should be enough to get some results on altavista or even at ibooks.com if they have a search function.
joeG
just see dlopen.h

and

man dlopen

Might be that the name of the include file is wrong. It's something with dl at the beginning.

bye

Edited by - dg5pt on August 9, 2000 2:30:53 PM
Felix KollmannFuture InteractiveCEO, Project Manager, Lead Programmer[http://www.futureint.de][fkollmann@futureint.de]
glib has a routine to load a dynamic library as well as a glut of other cross-platform nicities. That''s where i''d start.

Crackpot Productions--
Senior Cracked Pot--
Benc
Crackpot Productions--Senior Cracked Pot--Benc
Thankyou people, I''ve found a couple of examples...

Jans.

-----------------
Janucybermetaltvgothmogbunny

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement