🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Artists' Portfolios

Started by
31 comments, last by Decoy 23 years, 9 months ago
I dont know if this is considered good art, but i threw this together in a couple of hours of extreame bordom. What do you guys think?

Why does my life have to be so hard in every world?
Advertisement
Fantasy Edge,

I like the way you did the clothes.
Just one thing, her arms look a little long and elastic. But you also said that you whipped this one together. I''d probably wind up with the exact same quality, if I did what you did.

joeG

joeG
thanks man. that is nice to hear. ive been getting shot down lots lately. i draw better but the tools in photoshop are a little, inperfect for drawing.

I love the eyes. They look so 3D.

E:cb woof!

Edited by - Dog135 on September 6, 2000 12:13:25 PM
shot down? really? anyway, fantasy edge, your artwork''s good. just keep it up. there''s lots for you to learn still.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
Fantasy Edge,

It''s pretty darn good! For two hours work, it looks very good. Myself, I would have black outlined the character to prevent it from looking "washed out"

(IMHO it''s a bit pale, not sharp enough on tone)

But hey!
Just my opinion, but don''t get me wrong, it''s still cool!

Been to your site...what career you looking for? Just interested!

www.stephen-hawes.co.uk

Im thinking of going into film but I also want to get into gamedevelopment as an artist (2d and 3d) as well as a producer.
I want a film grounding first though
but hey im only 18 so...

hey fantasy edge, not to scare you or anything, but you gotta get moving on your artistic education. i want to give you some advice. start breaking away from the anime and the pastel color tones, and start broadening your skills. you''re already very good in anime. it''s time to exercise variety. the filmmakers will expect variety, and also the art departments for several entertainment industries. they want to see basic human forms, anatomically correct, and also nature, lots of nature. they want to see a good observer. so prepare plenty of studies for your portfolio. at 18, i would imagine you should be going through an advanced placement art class (college level), so that you get a taste of everything. dabble with several forms of media and move on to the next. any other artists out there who''d like to add/disagree with me, please do so.

good luck. keep it up.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
I think Fantasy Edge should get recognition for that cool girl he puts in his messages! I love those! hehe

FE, do you use construction in your drawings? If not, even a simple form of construction will help emensly!

Keep up the good work.

Edited by - dog135 on September 7, 2000 1:38:27 PM
Well for dog, here is the infamus cute girl for no reason... Seriously though, I do plan to go to some art school but to tell you the truth, its not the first thing on my mind at the particular momment. At this second i do not have quite the disapline to pay to go to that type of school but it would help greatly. As for my style of drawing;
I first start by laying out with an H1 the lines for the drawing, basically like laying out the grid work. i then attempt to add to the shapes by useing simple polies and connecting them. then i add 3d grid lines to give it form to use when working on other things. once the shape is good, i go over it with a darker pencil. as for adding things like clothing, that is useuly done based on the sex of the character. for a male, i would draw the clothing as a part of their bodies and then blend to a certain extent. as for females, they usully have more organic shapes so the clothing is grafted on later as are the hair and definitions. oh well. Im trying to get faster so i might get into animation but it takes too long at the moment so that is sort of impracticle

"Why does my life have to be so hard in every world?"

Nanami Jinii

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement