🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Rogue NPCs!!!! (Starflight-alike)

Started by
7 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 10 months ago
So you NPC throws down his gun and says, "I ain''t going inta'' that dark cave where all the charred bones are!!!!" Would you tolerate it? Would you click "uninstall" immediately? What do you think about the idea of NPCs that aren''t necessarily slaves when they join your party? I''m not just talking about those that can get fed up and leave like in Baldur''s Gate, but something more natural. NPCs that don''t exactly want to be cannon fodder, who won''t charge if the odds are 10 to 1. Maybe they have obligations to honor, or debts they have to go pay. I think people are used their party responding as one character, and wouldn''t put up with a system like this, even if it made the NPCs more human. What do you think? -------------------- Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
Great idea, I am surprised it hasn''t come up before (and surprised that I didn''t post this ). I am thinking now that you need to prove to the NPC that you are the leader that you say you are before they are willing to sacrifice themselves for your cause... Could add a bit more to bonding and story building

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft
"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy"
IOL (The list formerly known as NPCAI) - A GDNet production
Our Doc - The future of RPGs
Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche
Does this mean that it goes into the doc?

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
I''d be a lot more impressed with a game where NPCs are actually smart enough to not blindly follow you, than with a game where they seem to enjoy throwing them in front of an arrow ( be that the enemies or your own ).

I HATE games where you control a "party" of people. I want ONE character only please, unless I''m doing a wargame of sorts. I want people to follow me ''cause they want to, not ''cause I''m controlling them dammit.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Warvinator: Thats right! You know the deal well

MKV: I agree with you, it is fine and dandy to have NPC''s that help you out (possibly) but they are their own people (NPC''s are people too remember ) and are motivated for their own reasons and with their own goals. This would add all sorts of fun things like betrayal of NPC''s and trust for ones you know well. This would be a great addition to any plot

You know how in Diablo-alikes you kill guys and pick up their stuff? I was thinking that if you had a group of guys working for you that were particularly shady or disloyal, they might pick up the stuff and keep it for themselves. In fact, if you had access to their inventory, it would only show the stuff they wanted to show you.

--------------------
And maybe you can also have a random factor for finding stuff on their person. You might notice that one of your party is wearing that nice suit of armour that you lost the last time you died

LOL!!!! "Hey, isn''t that my armor?" "Yeah, waddaya wanna do about it?"

You could get into a fight with your own party!!! And with the dragon walking up right behind you all, you''d think this would be a time for solidarity!!!

--------------------
LOL! And maybe you could even use that as a ruse to ambush someone who approaches you. You are really just distracting them from what the others in your party are doing. This would really kick arse, if done correctly . Maybe the dragon walks up behind you and you both run off, with flames licking your heals, and the other 2 members of your party sneak into the lair and steal the jewels or plant a trap for the dragon... Oughto be more fun and realistic than confronting a dragon (well, as realistic as confronting a dragon could be )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement