🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The Fifteen *crash* TEN Commandments!

Started by
37 comments, last by Landfish 23 years, 10 months ago
The "15 *crash* TEN COMMANDMENTS" is from Mel Brooks' "History of the World". The Family Guy was just replaying it. The Family Guy has very little original material. It just takes old pop culture references and applies it to its characters. Its still hilarious though.

Edited by - Caffeine on September 5, 2000 6:45:06 PM
Advertisement
Actually, Chris, I think you''re wrong on that one. If it were responsibility that bugged the player, then Tamagotchi would never have happened. The stuff that bugs be is (as I say on my website, coming soon) the stuff that gives you CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME from doing the SAME THING OVER AND OVER.

BTW, that whole schpeel was realy what I meant by symbolic. Nothing happens for no reason. If all combat had a role in the story, button smashers would vanish. sigh. I can dream, can''t I?

The main point being; if you truly feel you have followed these points, and your entire game holds up to it, it shouldn''t ever be tedious. It shouldn''t ever be boring, unless you started with boring material... as so many of us do!
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Yes, the "carpal tunnel" crap. I hate it. ALL OF IT!!

I recently tried playing dragon warrior 4, just to see if I had missed anything as a kid. God, how did I play that mind numbing crap for so long? Every 5 freaking steps I was attacked, and I thought, "this is the most pointless activity I have ever done." Then it hit me, I had done this same thing years ago when I played the first one!!

It''s amazing how much we grow in such a short time.

-------------------------------------------
"What's the story with your face, son?!?"
-------------------------------------------The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.Exodus 14:14
Pacman, I love you.

(hey, I''m an avatar!)
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
You might not after reading what I said in you rant thread

And you can''t have my Bud light, either

-------------------------------------------
"What's the story with your face, son?!?"
-------------------------------------------The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.Exodus 14:14
Yeah I used to play Dragon Warrior 1 constantly. I used to just repeatedly look for stuff to kill so I could reach the next level.

I tried to play it recently and couldn''t stand it for more than 5 minutes.

"NPC's are people too!" --dwarfsoft

"Nazrix is cool." --Nazrix first, then Darkmage
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Do I even need to say it? All together now...
Landfish,

Sure, I''ll say it for you.

Walking 2 steps, pressing the attack button, getting some exp out of it, then repeating is really fun and should be in every game

Everyone''s trying to get a rise out of you lately, LF, huh?

"NPC's are people too!" --dwarfsoft

"Nazrix is cool." --Nazrix first, then Darkmage
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
More about the player than the writer. Games tend to be written to the writers specs to show off their skills (collective skills, not just the writers). So instead of concentrating on themeselves, people should be appealing to the masses. Unfortunately, the masses don''t really know what they want. Only the elite who can understand the problems do (I am using elite to specify us . Aren''t I bold?). What we want is what we know we want. Because we are game designers, we want to show it off to the world. We have to be game players as well, be one of the masses, ask them what they think in terms that they understand. Don''t just go with what the bigname developers do, be innovative. We need to break from the mould and give the gamers what they want, and what we want.

It is more than just a general statement, but it incorporates all that I think this board stands for. Be a gamer and a game designer, not just a game designer. That way, we will all benefit. That means that the masses want replayability. Not that they understand the notion very well

That is enough of my rant

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft
"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy"
IOL (The list formerly known as NPCAI) - A GDNet production
Our Doc - The future of RPGs
Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche
???

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement