🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Perspective in FPS

Started by
32 comments, last by Landfish 23 years, 10 months ago
here''s a change of pace for me. I''ve been thinking about first person shooters... not my favorite genre by any means, but I like pretty much everything. Now the perspective from which we interact with the environment in a FPS is NOT true perspective. Because the surface of the eye is round, we have peripheral vision, very useful in situations such as gunfights, but FPS games are traditionally lacking this. Also, FPS games never give you a very good sense of the rest of your body. There''s a PS2 racing game by Square (whoda thunk it?) where they actually used a driver and a camera to motion cature the hands on the wheel in the first person mode. I haven''t played it, but this supposedly lends an awful lot the to experience. I can see why, too... it would give you a much better sense of the turns. Should we be looking into something like this for FPS? Antoher thing, the camera always seems to remain verticle, whick bugs me. Games like Deus Ex allow for SOME leaning, but you never go full on sideways, sliding or rolling in a disorienting but cool fashion. So does anybody know of any techniques that might be applied to add more depth to the gameplay in these games? The functionality is all there already, no we need to make it feel real. Easier said than done, I know. Any ideas? ====== "The unexamined life is not worth living." -Socrates "Question everything. Especially Landfish." -Matt
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Advertisement
Yes, I''ve thought about that too.Imagine being able to fall down a stair, the camera going round and round...confusing, but cool.It would make you feel like in an action movie (and that''s why most people play FPS I think).

Runemaster
Join the Game Developers RuneRing !

The Specular Lightosis Research Fund
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
The ONLY reason it hasn''t been done YET, is because no one bothered. But really, you could do it without too much hassle.
The round eye you are talking about is there as well, you jsut have to increase the FOV of the renderer to a more ''natural'' one, something around 120° is realistic enough, but then you get a fisheye effect that most people find ''unrealistic'' !!! except real fraggers because of the obvious advantage of seeing better.
The thing is that it''s kindof annoying to have the head and body move differently. One thing I could see would be a head view'' button that would allow you to look around and lean sideways or forward backward to look around corners, edges, etc without showing all your body.
mmmm ... something that might actually be done with a bit of coding. Are you a coder Landfish ? If so, you would be delighted to know that THIS CAN BE DONE I jsut don''t know the specific though. (I am saying this because I read a bit of the Halflife SDK recently...)

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
quote: Original post by ahw
The thing is that it''s kindof annoying to have the head and body move differently. One thing I could see would be a head view'' button that would allow you to look around and lean sideways or forward backward to look around corners, edges, etc without showing all your body.

youpla :-P

Thief did this...you could lean forward, and lean left and right to look around corners. You couldn''t turn your head w/out turning your body though. Thief rules!

"NPC's are people too!" --dwarfsoft

"Nazrix is cool." --Nazrix first, then Darkmage
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
well in theory these are great ideas.. but the problem is the limitations of the controls (which is usually keyboard and mouse). i mean you could implement all this fancy movement but in an FPS is it really functional where you need to be quick shooting?

and the more perspective vision.. the problem there is that you have limited space to project. a monitor isn''t exactly the best device for displaying a 3d world. you cant get much perspective with a small flat surface.

other than that.. the flipping and stuff wouldn''t be difficult to do
Some people wouldn''t like what i''m going to suppose but when you walk you actually move up and down slightly. Having this in a fps might add what you''re looking for?!

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
The round eye you are talking about is there as well, you jsut have to increase the FOV of the renderer to a more ''natural'' one, something around 120° is realistic enough, but then you get a fisheye effect that most people find ''unrealistic'' !!! except real fraggers because of the obvious advantage of seeing better.

120 is for wusses! 135!!

( This is my ex-Clanmaster of Quake2 Clan CRC personality speaking. )

About the controls:
- Bobbing ( what Paul suggested ) already exists in the Quake series, I''m pretty sure. I used to turn it up for that excellent sea-sick effect. It really does help with immersiveness.
- Separating head and body movement: Why? With current controls, it would be harder to move the head than the body. The whole point of the human head moving separately from the body is because it''s easier and more efficient to move the head in some situations. In FPS, you want to be shooting where you''re looking, so there''s not much point in separating the two.
- Not-so-fixed direction of viewing. Play rollcage! Play it in first-person perspective! ( little cars that can flip upside-down,sideways, every which way. ) It''s not full-on, because it actually tries to keep up towards the top of the screen, but it''s still pretty cool when that rocket hits yer ass and you go wheeling all over the level. Very disorienting, but great fun.

I think it should be tried.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
quote: Original post by Landfish
Antoher thing, the camera always seems to remain verticle, whick bugs me. Games like Deus Ex allow for SOME leaning, but you never go full on sideways, sliding or rolling in a disorienting but cool fashion.

You should take a look at Longbow 2 (more recent simulators may implement a similar system, too). It had an excellent "virtual cockpit" (nothing new here), where the head of the pilot actually tried to remain vertical. So instead of normal "dashboard doesn''t move when you bank", it was "horizon doesn''t move when you bank." It was really cool and really added to the feeling, althought you couldn''t actually play in this mode because it was difficult to see the instruments well.

-Jussi

The ONLY reason it hasn''t been done YET, is because no one bothered. But really, you could do it without too much hassle.

Music to my ears.

quote:
The thing is that it''s kindof annoying to have the head and body move differently.

One could take a cue from Square''s upcoming drving emotion type S or whatever. Use motion capture to realistically execute existing movements. Don''t worry about adding functionality at all. Not confusing, just neater looking.

quote:
mmmm ... something that might actually be done with a bit of coding. Are you a coder Landfish ?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Me a coder?

No, I''m not, but you can rest assured that these ideas WILL be incorperated into something my coders will do. (no, I''m not full of shit, thank you. www.landfish.com, soon...)

======
"The unexamined life is not worth living."
-Socrates

"Question everything. Especially Landfish."
-Matt
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
I think the FOV stuff hasn''t been added simply because it''ll make you nautious . If you''ve ever done 3D programming, and bumped it up, you''ll know what I mean .

One game that did give you a good sense of you body was *cough*Tresspasser*cough*. As bad as that game was, it did let you see your body (well, actually, more so the breasts... but that''s another story ). I think this could easily be implemented into FPS -- just let them see their body if they look down. Also, maybe make the view move a tad bit faster then the body. It''d add an effect that you look before you go somewhere (and feel a tad more realistic). Also, maybe allow the head to move seperatly from the body if you hold down something like the right mouse button. I''d use it .

The vertical thing is just stupid. It''d add a lot to make it non vertical. I''m surprised nobody has done it yet. Think of the cool fights you could have! (like in The Matrix ).

----------------------------------------
"Before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away and have their shoes." -- Deep Thoughts

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement