🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[Ah, the feature list]

Started by
14 comments, last by aDasTRa 23 years, 9 months ago
I have a simple question: What do you people, as both developers and gamers, consider to be good features and techonolgy to include in a game (or research and develop for a game). i am talking about stuff like radiosity, volmetric everything, different kinds of lighting; anything. what are you, are would you include as developers, and what would you like to see as gamers? thanks in advance for the help... <(o)>
<(o)>
Advertisement
Destructable walls!!!! Take that, you portal mavens!

It seems like you''re talking mostly in graphics technology, so I''ll limit myself to that...

Awesome LOD switching ability would be cool. I don''t need to go from orbit down to the stamin of a flower, but I''d like to be able to run around a fairly complex level.

Particle effects are always nice. Would love to see engines pay more attention to rain, snow, flame thrower exhaust, that kind of stuff.

More permanent decals would be great too. Keep the bullet holes and my spraypaint (Half-Life), don''t make it fade if you can help it!

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
I reckon a game that somehow used wind would be cool, it would probably work best in a stealthy game like theif, and leaves and stuff will be blown around by the wind and doors will be blown shut making a huge noise, that sort of thing would be cool. And you could maybe even make it so it effects the gameplay. Nay, who cares about gameplay, when you have cool GFX

"Only a fool quotes himself"
Andy Owen

My Homepage (Non games related)
My Current Project (Games related... I think)
Trying is the first step towards failure.
Deffinately destructible walls. It''s gotta happen!

I would love it if dead bodies didn''t disappear and you could keep shooting the crap out of them until they are nothing more than a water mark.

I''d also like to see bullet shells lying around the map where there''s been gun fights. I can just picture hallways full of bullets shells. Dont lose the bullet either, i''d like to be able to go up to a wall and see the bullets stuck in like what they do with crossbow bolts in some games but unfortunately they alway disappear after a while.

But generally i''d like more destructible items, or bendable. I''d like to see scratch marks in railing that someone had shot at. Oh yeah, and richochying bullets would be cool to.

Anyhow i think this would be enough for now

Hang on, how could i forget this one. Proper explosion physics, yeah baby. If you shoot that missile into that pipe then the explosion will work their way back out at you realistically. Damn that''d be cool.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Paul: Check out Red Faction (www.redfaction.com) if you like to see a game with a lot of blowing-up potential, seems quite promising...
Also, the reason for limitation of decals, corpses and shells is that it would demand a _very_ powerful machine to run a game without these limitations. Just think of the stuff would pile up in a multiplayer game, or even in a singleplayer, if there were no lifespans attached to decals and such, a nightmare for anyone trying to implement such an engine.

It's me again!
quote: Original post by Taharez

Also, the reason for limitation of decals, corpses and shells is that it would demand a _very_ powerful machine to run a game without these limitations. Just think of the stuff would pile up in a multiplayer game, or even in a singleplayer, if there were no lifespans attached to decals and such, a nightmare for anyone trying to implement such an engine.

Hahaha. Well, I guess this is why it''s sort of a wishlist post. You''re not going to see this anytime soon, I think.

But just think about it: Players complaining "I can manuever thru the level because of all those bodies!!!!!" Gruesome!

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Do you remember the game Golden Axe. When you killed an enemy their body was pasted onto the background. That was great.
quote:
But just think about it: Players complaining "I can manuever thru the level because of all those bodies!!!!!" Gruesome!

Whoooarrrhahahahaha *maximum evil grin* hehehehe. Note: This is what made me think of being able to splat the dead bodies into a water mark.

Now, just think about this: Your walking down a corridor and you hear a Kaboom, you then turn around the corner to see what''s going on and 6 dead corpses in 228.74 different peices going flying overhead. "YEAH BABY, BRING IT ON!!" *loads fly-by-wire rocket launcher* Ahem *cough* "any day, any, Day"!

I just though of another one, it would be good if your character got dirty. You could have enemies with fluro blood which could cause problems if they were included in a deathmatch game. God i''m sick.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
I loved the game Rise of the Triad ... shoot someone and chunks of flesh & eyeballs go everywhere. Also, if you shot someone just right, they''d collapse and beg you to not shoot them ...

One thing which could be fun is using bucket loads of blood, but then making it slippery to walk over ...
"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick
Oh god, you guys are sick. ;P

Seriously, though, geez, wow. . .I don''t even know what to say.

OK! OK! I admit it! I want to be able to kick a dead body and hear thud! I want to recreate the Black Knight scene in Monty Python''s Holy Grail! I want to throw salt in some punk''s eyes and watch him wretch in pain! Then I want to kick his teeth in, and, and, then I want to pulverize his skull with a sledgehammer, eviscerate him with a spoon, and leave him there, sobbing. . .

I think you guys are a bad influence. 8[ Wow. Do you guys have kids?

Umm, deformable objects are good. *sniff* I miss Asteroids.
If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal
thanks for the suggestions thus far...dont feel limited to graphics in your suggestions, and lets please not have this digress into a blood lust fest...

keep em comin''!

<(o)>
<(o)>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement