🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

In-game humor

Started by
4 comments, last by runemaster 23 years, 9 months ago
I''m talking about humor that has nothing to do with our world, only with the game world.Like jokes about orcs or about the King or something.I think it helps immerse the player....I think if used correctly in-game humor could be really great. On second thought, this also counts for stories, legends etc...maybe I should post this in Game Writing ? Anyway, do you understand what I mean (I doubt it) ? Any ideas ? Runemaster now working on Acronia : Secrets of Magic Join the Game Developers RuneRing ! The Specular Lightosis Research Fund This is a message from God: "Rebooting the universe, please log off."
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
Advertisement
Lunar: Siver Star Story did this a lot (the PSX version anyway). It was a welcome addition, and really made the game great.
This looks like a job for Game Writers!!!!

Yeah, I think this would add a lot to the idea of a living world because the denizens of your universe would show another level of ''human-ness.''

I really hate out-of-context humor, especially in RPGs (like finding movie references in Fallout; the crashed Star Trek shuttlecraft, or Godzilla''s footprint). In-game humor would be much more appropriate.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
I have two pages of RPG jokes here ... in french.

My favourite : "If it moves smash it ''till it''s dead. If it doesn''t move, smash it, just in case" Ork saying.
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
I liked the humor in Thief when the guards are joking with one another...very immersive IMO
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
If npc''s in cprg''s are going to roleplay then it only seems logical that once in a while they''d pull a joke if it was in their nature. No argument here

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement