🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The Flaw with most RPGS!!!

Started by
22 comments, last by Necromancer 23 years, 10 months ago
Bah!

What you''re complaining about isn''t even a RPG, it''s a very small unit scale wargame.

There is no compelling reason to balance anything against anything else in a real RPG. A real RPG has a writer/designer/game master who will make any valid character just as compelling and interesting as any other. So you could play a character who was either a warrior prince in exile or a non combatant gardener.

You might as well be talking about designs for Diablo, a game in which there is no role playing of measurable worth.

$0.02
Advertisement
OK. SO how ''bout an MP sort of system based on like energy from food. And the warior could be under similar constraints.

So it''d be like...

Eat a meal. (+2000 calories.)
Swinging a sword takes energy. (-200 cals/10 min or whatever)
Drink a Gatorade/potion when low on energy. (+400 cals)

And of course spellcasting takes energy too. Maybe with some proper balancing and special cases for large spells and long battles it could work, (and restore Necromancer''s faith in RPGs.)
As MadKeith said, making a mage more powerful than a fighter just because thats how you think it should be is not a good way of thinking - the mage and the warrior should be balanced , otherwise no one in their right mind would bother playing the warrior - you may as well scrap the warrior class altogether.

If anything, the warrior class probably needs more work. I find playing mage characters is far more interesting - you have a huge range of spell options at your disposal, enabling the player to come up with all manner of obscure solutions to problems, whereas the fighter tends to be limited to going around hitting people with sharp objects. This tends to get a little dull after a while.

Edited by - Sandman on October 4, 2000 9:04:52 AM
quote: Original post by Sandman
.. whereas the fighter tends to be limited to going around hitting people with sharp objects. This tends to get a little dull after a while.

Well that''s why you need to whet your sharp objects

But seriously, I think this is very true. A warrior is not boring ( I play warriors all the time when I roleplay ) but in CRPGs, attention to detail for warriors has been lacking. It''s always click ''n kill for the warriors, and the size of your blade changes. Doesn''t hack it for me ( pun intended ).

Heck, maybe I want to aim for that demon''s kneecaps... maybe I want to kick him where it REALLY hurts, why can''t I do that? The mage can paralyse, freeze, burn, electrify, teleport, etc etc., and all I can do is "walk up, whack, die, let wizard finish off" ??

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement