🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

conversion of 3d to 2d

Started by
8 comments, last by andhen 23 years, 8 months ago
ok, I am totally new at 3d graphics. I downloaded Milkshape and learned the basics but cannot figure out how do I make 2d bmp graphics from the 3d model? Perhaps this is not possible with milkshape? Then what program do you recomend? Thanks a lot! Anders
Advertisement
i''ve never used milkshape, but is it a modelling AND rendering package? i think it''s just a modeller.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
I don''t know about milkshape, but I do know that Blender can model and render to a jpg or tga file. Blender is kind of tricky at 1st, but it''s really great when you get used to it.

"""" "'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree"-Nazrix" -- runemaster --and now dwarfsoft" -- dwarfsoft --pouya" -- Nazrix

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
I work with ms3d so i wil answer whatever i can. In effect it is only a modeling tool but it can be effective for texture mapping if you know it well enough. im sure you know about the materials tab. you have to import the texture (which can be anything that is a bmp, jpg) but then you have to set its co-ordinates. i usully work with symetrical objects so you would select a peice you want to texture, import the image and set its co-ordinates. this is a little hard to explain in here so go here

Allow the flaming to begin
Conshape Electronic Arts
Just use Blender, dude

"""" "'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree"-Nazrix" -- runemaster --and now dwarfsoft" -- dwarfsoft --pouya" -- Nazrix
""You see... I'm not crazy... you see?!? Nazrix believes me!" --Wavinator

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
blender may be more powerful but milkshape is far easier to use.

Conshape Electronic Arts
I''ve never used Milkshape, but I''ve heard so many people say that Blender is really hard at 1st, but was built for effeciency of use rather than ease of use....I''m starting to find that true the more I use it

""You see... I'm not crazy... you see?!? Nazrix believes me!" --Wavinator

milkshape 3d 1.4 may be broken when it comes to trying to apply
textures to your models...at least it was for me for some reason.
Heres what i tried to do to make a 2d graphic from a 3d model in
milkshape.
1. model object
2. apply a totally black surface.(not texture, just choose the
whole model and put all the material editor colors to full black)
3. capture screen (to clip board)
4. import screen into mspaint and crop and clean up
5. rescale and clean up image.
6. save image and import the matte into your favorite paint prog

Not very efficient, but it works in a pinch. Still cant figure
out why ms3d 1.4 doesnt work properly when using texture tho
Hope that helps.

-out-

--bah! who needs a signature?!
Here's a new dance everyone can do, do the Kirby:<(*.*<) <(^.^)> (>*.*)> <(^.^)> <(*.*<) (>^.^)>
yeah... but im sure you realize how perfect you have to make those mate''s. i tried that but i think the model should start from the texture. say you have a character. you can simplify textureing massivly if you do it first and taylor your model to that. I dont know. here i am trying to make 3d graphics look 2d.

Conshape Electronic Arts
Aha, screen capture. Of course, thanks shdaga!

I am playing around a little with blender and while it has a lot of confusing options, I think the interface works quite well.

Anders

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement