🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Does using Fonts violates Copyrights

Started by
1 comment, last by Stony 23 years, 8 months ago
Hi! We are currently working on a game we are going to sell. Now I wondered if we''re violating some copyrights, if we''d use a .ttf for our graphics. The shape is still the same, but they''re altered by applying a texture, a shadow, etc... What do you think?? Stony ~~~ A bus-station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desktop there is a workstation...
~~~A bus-station is where a bus stops.A train station is where a train stops.On my desktop there is a workstation...
Advertisement
Well, first off, make sure the TTF is in the public domain, or that the author is ok with it. That''s if you are using a TTF, not making a gfx with it.
As for making a graphic *using* a TTF, I don''t remember anything about being able to copyright the look and feel. AFAIK the graphic (a picture) you make is a creation on its own, which is different from taking the font and using it ingame, pretending that it''s yours ... again, make sure with the author, if it''s not a free font !
And if you are not sure, check out on About.com, they have plentyful of information on copyrights

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Thanks for the advice,
I''ll check it out. =)

Stony

~~~
A bus-station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desktop there is a workstation...
~~~A bus-station is where a bus stops.A train station is where a train stops.On my desktop there is a workstation...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement