🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Art Copyrights Question

Started by
2 comments, last by Chai Peddler 23 years, 8 months ago
Hi all. I''m now beginning artwork for my game. I intend to sell it upon completion. I have some legal questions I hope someone can answer. If I generate artwork using special effects from paint programs like Corel Draw, Paint Shop Pro and/or NeoPaint, is this considered copyright infringement? How about if I use any of these paint programs'' included textures or artwork, with or without minor modification? And fonts? If I use popular fonts that most paint and word processing programs use, like Stonehenge or Sans Serif and the like? Or do I have to create my own from scratch? Thanks very much! In your light I learn how to love. In your beauty, how to make poems. You dance inside my chest, where no one sees you, but sometimes I do, and that sight becomes this art. -- Jelaluddin Rumi
Advertisement
nope, if you legitimately bought the 2d art software packages, those samples should be royalty-free, which means yes, you can use them. hopefully. cuz i''m using acid loops for my soundtrack, and i think all the loops you can use without law suit.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
If you plan to sell what you create, you have to have legal copies of all the software used. Even student priced software packages have the requirement in the terms and conditions statement that anything created with that software is for educational purposes only and cannot be sold. Once you do own a production license, then you can do whatever you want.

Using default textures and artwork with little or no changes is considered a no-no by the artistic world. Especially in games and animation. I''ve gotten a kick out of seeing someone''s work and being able to name where they got the textures and sometimes even models. At the very least, modify the texture or artwork to a point where it''s nearly unrecognizable from the original when placed in your piece.

Fonts are another matter. Use them as you feel fit. If it''s copyrighted though, make sure you have permission to use it. All the fonts your computer came with are yours anf can be used freely.

One last note: sans-serif is a classification of a font style (without serifs, or without the little curly things on the ends like in New Times Roman.. Arial is a font that is sans-serif), not a font in itself.

Hope that helped.

-------
Monkey eat deadCricket, checkmate!
-------Monkey eat deadCricket, checkmate!
Okay, thanks alot!

In your light I learn how to love.<br>In your beauty, how to make poems.<br><br>You dance inside my chest,<br>where no one sees you,<br><br>but sometimes I do,<br>and that sight becomes this art. -- Jelaluddin Rumi

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement