🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

3DS MAX Questions

Started by
19 comments, last by EnochDagor 23 years, 7 months ago
Auxil

If you are using Windows 9x, it has terrible memory management, moving to NT / 2000 might help with that

MORE MEMORY!

Like I say, Windows 9x leaks memory with MAX, more physical memory will help, processor wouldn''t logically stop it crashing!

Don''t run anything else with MAX as it uses 73% or Windows resources

Resources as you know, have nothing to do with memory, so if you dip below 10% your PC WILL become unstable. (enter BSOD)

I would suggest more memory (512MB Total) + Secure platform (NT4, 2000) if you MUST model at 1 million.

What OS are you using?

Oh and don''t leave stacks open, it will kill performance/load times/ rendering (RT) times.

www.stephen-hawes.co.uk
Advertisement
haha, i guess i was doing some things wrong apparently

windows 98
i leave almost every stack open, because i usually forget to close them)

i would use 2000, but it crashed a lot. someone said it was my video card drivers, but i have the latest ones, and it still gave me "the blue screen of death" (its what he called it)

i''ll give it another swing, along with some more memory

thanks for the help

i''m also considering a second comp with a p4, but that''ll prolly wait until i have some money
Umm, about the P4: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/1/14527.html

http://www.gdarchive.net/druidgames/
I have a 550MHz with 128MB of Ram and i experence Ram problems to mostly when i''m online with Napster running, that''s when my system takes a big drop to about 54-60% system resources. Man that sucks. so what i do is the msconfig thing which is very dangerous if you don''t know to much about your computer.
I can run 3DS Max r3 and Getright at the same time...it drops me to about 20/20/70 on my resource meter. I''m running a P3 600 MHz 128 SDRAM and a TNT2 M64 card....runs silky smooth and only slows down during renders with much refract/reflect mapping.

This RtS-Babble© has been brought to you by:
-Run_The_Shadows
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
Well, it is quite apparent that I am doing things wrong.

So how do you close a stack? :s

E.D.
Enoch DagorLead DeveloperDark Sky EntertainmentBeyond Protocol
So how do you close a stack? :s

ok..

Select the object/mesh with a stack...

click on the "Modify" TAB
you''ll get your list of "modifiers" here, look at the
"Modifier Stack"

there is a tab showing the current modifier (e.g Bend, Taper Editable Mesh) and five icons

the furthest icon on the right is "EDIT STACK"
click on this and you will open the "Edit Modifier Stack" Window.
Now select "Collapse All" This is how you close a stack.

A warning message will come up, read this... then close. Make sure you read this message once, just so as you know whay MAX does with stacks.

that''s it...

you should collapse stacks whereever possible...

Hope that helps!

www.stephen-hawes.co.uk
Try to check your computers website for example if you had a HP you try www.hp.com of www.hewlettpackard.com or something like that. If you had a compaq it is www.compaq.com... Why am i telling you this because companies sometimes release BIOS updates to fix Ram problems in ceartain model of computers like mines for one has a Ram problem an i have 128 MB of Ram but yet that still is not enough so i did a search for BIOS update and i was lucky enough to find one now my computer is running fine, i am all simles and grins now, except for when i start Napster man that take a toll on Ram.
What if you built your own comp?
where would you look from there?
TO CLOSE A STACK......
You go to your modify panel in MAX, and look for the little,
square button which looks like a stack of papers....
click on it.
Then, a dialog box will open up, and one of the selections
in it is to collapse the stack. MAKE SURE you really want
to do this...if you have a biped, you may not want to, or
better yet, do so before you attach the model to the biped.
Collapsing the stack will free up a good chunk of ram.
And if you have any resource meters up (?) CLOSE THEM. They
require ram to function. Close ALL other programs! Period!
Even on N.T.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement