🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

a notice for beginner artists.

Started by
24 comments, last by aegrimonia 23 years, 6 months ago
if you're looking for a low cost program to get your feet wet in the graphics world.. instead of going for paint shop pro. or busting the bank on Adobe products, i would have to strongly recommend picking up Corel Draw! 7. you can get it on EBAY for next to nothing (because they are up to 10 now) but it's a great proggy. If you've seen any of my artwork, most of it (other then the 3D ships i've posted on here) has been done in Corel 7. it's a smaller, more stable program then the newer one, and doesn't take as much horsepower to use... and you can actually get it cheaper then a full version of paint shop pro.. i suppose you can get an older version of the adobe products, but i don't use em'.. so i don't know how they fare... just my $.02 yep.. i just checked.. you can literally get it for $20 on ebay.. talk about a bargain! i wish it was that cheap when I bought it!!!! www.digitaleuphorasoft.com Edited by - aegrimonia on 11/30/00 11:02:14 AM
Advertisement
Wow. $20 is not bad for someone to start with a graphics app.

I picked up CorelDraw 9 not too long ago. It seems pretty good, though I am not completely familiar with the interface as I am with PSP. I''d have to put Photoshop between PSP and Corel9 for familiarity for me. They are all powerful once you get a good feel for what each tool can be used for.

You got a good point for starting with a low cost paint app.

I have Corel9, PSP6, and PS5.5, but I use PSP6 the most of the bunch since I have used PSP the longest and can do what I have in mind quickly. Sometimes I''ll mess with the other 2 just to see if there is some method or tool that works better with it.

Does Corel7 have layer support? That was a huge addition to PSP from its earlier days.

Since I''m here, anyone interested in doing art for an overhead action game? Some early screenshots are at http://www.trixoft.com/ma/. The textures and tiles in the shots were designed in PSP6. Some more info on the game and joining can be found in the help wanted section under "looking for good artists...demo available".

Also, you may want to fix your link in your signature.
Carl "trixter"[email=carl@trixoft.com]carl@trixoft.com[/email]http://www.trixoft.com
Yep, corel 7 has layer support..
it really is a fully functional graphics proggy...

as for the signature.. i'm not sure what's wrong with it.

i'm trying to fix it now.

Edited by - aegrimonia on November 30, 2000 8:32:09 PM

Edited by - aegrimonia on November 30, 2000 8:38:12 PM
test

digital euphoria software

I really don''t like the Corel line. I find the Adobe progs are better, however, damn EXPENCIVE! If you can I would go Adobe. They''re just better.

As Mr Cup always says,
''''I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me.''''
As Mr Cup always says,''I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me.''
well.. that''s YOUR opinion.. and you''re definately entitled to it.. but i''ll put the capabilites of your software against mine ANYDAY..

besides.. if you would have taken the time to actually read the post, and comprehend the material contained within.. you''ll notice that it was a post for beginner artists.. and NOT a what''s better Adobe or Corel?

if you''ll notice also, i plugged all 3 of the major graphics software packages out there....

Well if YOU calmed down you would see that I too was offering advice to beginner artists. The fact is that Adobe owns the market. If you want a job you need skills in Adobe. It''s that simple.

As Mr Cup always says,
''''I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me.''''
As Mr Cup always says,''I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me.''
you weren''t offering advice.. you were offering your personal opinion.. you said YOU didn''t like corel, it sucked.. and Adobe products were better..

and saying people should just learn adobe is like saying
you shouldn''t learn any other 3D program unless you have lightwave or 3dsmax..

which is foolish...

i was mearely trying to offer a VERY low cost alternative for those trying to learn the ropes.. and if you think it''s bad to learn corel you''re crazy.. everything you learn with corel can be easily translated into adobe..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement