Advertisement

Design on-table rpg...

Started by January 06, 2001 05:40 AM
0 comments, last by Michael.Van 23 years, 8 months ago
My friends and I are going to make an on-table rpg, but we dont''t know how to design it(It contains a new world--like Krynn,new magics and maps of new theories...) We have done the magics and maps and monsters,what shall we do then? Thanks e-mail to: zhangfan4590@sina.com
Ah, desiging a tabletop RPG. Sooner or later, we''ve all tried it. But there is always a question once you have got to the next stage: where next? And after that, where next?

I find a great tool in creating a tabletop RPG is FUDGE. FUDGE is a full-featured free tabletop RPG available for free download on the net (type FUDGE in any search engine, especially the big ones like altavista, and it should find it, amongst fudge-making factories).

You ask: "Why download FUDGE? I want to make my own game". Well, as the makers of FUDGE have said, reading through it can give you an idea of what you have to consider to make your game.

So, read through FUDGE. Then read through any roleplaying books you can get access to. Make notes on what sort of information is needed, and then jot down ideas for each. Develop your ideas, fill in the blanks, and then it should (hopefully) be obvious where to go on from there.

If you don''t want to go through this, concentrate on these key fields:

CHARACTER CREATION: should dice or points systems be used, what sort of options are there, how does this link in with the world you have created?

COMBAT: what sort of combat would fit your game? fast-paced combat with just a handful of dice rolls deciding the outcome and "graphics" open to imagination by the players? or would you rather have detailed, nitty-gritty combat with damage rolls, critical damage tables, etc.

EXPERIENCE: how to characters progress? do they progress in certain fields (eg. using knives ups your skill with knives) or gain general experience (XP like in most RPGs), or is there something different? is the way in which experience is earned different for different types of character? is the effect of this experience different?

--------------------------

That should give you some ideas to get going on. Hope it helped

- Rainy
- Rainy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement