Advertisement

Unrestricted RPG

Started by May 22, 2001 03:51 PM
11 comments, last by tj963 23 years, 3 months ago
Hi all, I''m working on the design for an unrestricted RPG or at least one with significant freedom. What I''m looking for is what you see as the requirements, as well as any other ideas you''re willing to share. tj963
tj963
Sounds interesting. Could you elaborate on the "unrestricted" part please ?

Will it be single player?
Advertisement
Correct me if I am wrong, but are you new to this [game design] board?

Probably 90% of the regular posters on this forum are trying to do essentially the same thing - figure out how to go about designing an open ended RPG - which would actually be possible to code. I can''t really answer your question any more specifically than saying:

1. Suggest you search through the past posts on the board, looking for the word RPG or CRPG (should turn up a few hundred )
2. If you have any more specific ideas you want to discuss, post it... youll get thousands of answers because it is everyones favourite subject
What is it with open ended RPG''s? I personally do not think they would be very fun, there is no incentive to play at all. I think it would get boring very fast, unless it was some for of online game.
quote: Original post by Nebula

What is it with open ended RPG''s? I personally do not think they would be very fun, there is no incentive to play at all. I think it would get boring very fast, unless it was some for of online game.

I guess what it comes down to is people want to capture the interactivity with the world that simulations have and combine that with the role-playing aspect. Where most simulation games make you feel like you''re in control of many people or things or whatever, an RPG traditionally lets you just be one person or maybe a very small group. So it''s a matter of combining the interactivity of simulations with the intimacy of an RPG.

A CRPG in development...

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
the only two "open ended RPGS" I think of besides Online RPGs are Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for Playstation and Super Metroid for Super Nintendo. Those are both really good games.

NULL
Advertisement
Also, I''d like to add that when speaking of open-ended games, I''ve pretty much abandoned the idea that people are going to get compelling story along with open-ended games. I don''t feel that should be part of the goal. It''s more about how much you can affect the world and how free you are to do so.

A CRPG in development...

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
There have been a couple of open-ended PC RPGs that are considered ''good'' by lots of people:

Daggerfall - I personally didn''t like this game because it was too wide open. They just drop you into the world with a bit of an intro story and then you are stuck trying to figure out what to do next. I never really got into the game.

Star Flight 1 and 2 - These games are a couple of the best Sci-Fi RPG classics of all time. If you have never played these games, see if you can find them somewhere. I seem to remember that they are available free online now, but I can''t remember where. Even if you didn''t know what to do to win the game, there was so much exploring, trading, and combat that you could do, that it never seemed boring.

Rogue-like games - These have been popular for a LONG time and still are (even without the benefit of flashy graphics or music). They have virtually no story, but are still incredibly fun and addictive because of the depth of interaction with the world. If you want to try a game of this type, I believe that ADOM (Ancient Domains of Mystery) is the most popular at the moment.
Another great couple of open-ended rpg''s I can think of are the Fallout series. You can pretty much roam around and do whatever you want, but there is a set plotline, and it works. Another one to think of is Harvest Moon, which can get tedious, but there is a lot to do. Or how about escape velocity. Pretty much you have two options - big world with a few not so interesting places, or a smaller world that is more packed with stuff to do. It depends on who your aiming it at. You want to always keep the gamer occupied, you don''t want him to have to stop and think for too long about what to do next. Even in an open-ended rpg, it''s a good idea to give the gamer goals. They don''t need to be necesary goals, but they need to be there. In escape velocity, it was the missions. You practically pick one up every time you land, if you want to. In the fallouts, there was the main story goal and many side quests to do. In Harvest Moon, getting the girl and keeping the farm in good shape to make money were the two major goals. Goals keep the player from saying, "Now what?"
quote: Original post by jaxson
Daggerfall - I personally didn''t like this game because it was too wide open. They just drop you into the world with a bit of an intro story and then you are stuck trying to figure out what to do next. I never really got into the game.

I like the fact that they drop you into the world and let you find stuff out yourself, but that''s just my personal choice. What I didn''t like was the repeditive randomness.

quote:
Star Flight 1 and 2 - These games are a couple of the best Sci-Fi RPG classics of all time. If you have never played these games, see if you can find them somewhere. I seem to remember that they are available free online now, but I can''t remember where. Even if you didn''t know what to do to win the game, there was so much exploring, trading, and combat that you could do, that it never seemed boring.

You can get F1 and F2 at www.theunderdogs.org for free. They do seem pretty cool although I haven''t played them a lot.

A CRPG in development...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement