Advertisement

Serious Noob with a Serious Question about Full Sail

Started by August 16, 2001 03:46 PM
5 comments, last by Wraithed 23 years ago
Hullo all, I have been interested in getting into Game Design/Programming for quite some time now. I recently read a book called "Game Design: The Art & Business of Creating Games" and in the back of the book it mentioned two schools that offered degree programs in game design. I have been looking into a school named "Full Sail" that is located in Florida. My question is, have any of you heard of, attented, employed anyone, or worked with a graduate of/from that school? If you know anything about it, please provide as much feedback as you can. Thank you. Wraithed
I know it''s expensive. And I know that Digipen is a lot better. You have probably heard of Digipen if you''ve heard of Full Sail. I''ve never been to either one, but I''ve heard Digipen is much better. Of course, it''s in Redmond, WA, and it sounds like yer on the east coast, Am I correct? Digipen doesn''t have housing, but I don''t think full sail does either. Anyway, that''s all I know. Over and out.

-Misterags™
Advertisement
I''ve never even heard of Full Sail. If i was going to choose, i''d go to Digipen because Nintendo funds it, and Nintendo is actively involved. And i think if anyone knows video games, they do. It''s expensive though, $20,000 or so a year.

Peace out.

MrMexTaco
Peace out.MrMexTaco
I've known 2 people that went there. One was a film student and the other was studing 3D modeling and animation. Although I don't really know either of them really well.

In my opinion, unless you can afford it, I think you can learn the fundementals of programming through a univ. and teach yourself a lot about programming games on your own but of course it takes a whole lot of time and dedication.

Edited by - Nazrix on August 20, 2001 10:35:04 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Hey I have heard of both schools. There are some key points about each. First of all Digipen is cheaper, it definetly isn''t 20,000 a year, although i''m not sure the cost. Full Sail however is more expensive. Digipen offers a full bachelors degree in many diffrent fields. While Full Sail only offers I believe it is an Associate Degree?, all I know is that you would not be getting a full college degree there. Full Sail would be good if you were to go there after attending a normal university. Also it seems as if Digipen is more "connected." They have had people coming out of there school getting jobs at Valve, Nintendo, etc. I have no idea what jobs people out of Full Sail have gotten. Ne way if you want my opinion go with digipen , www.digipen.com , that is where I may attend. I''m a Junior in high school right now, so maybe I''ll see u there. lol. I really wouldn''t reccomend Full Sail though. It is a good school, but I don''t think you would want to trow away a good education with only an associate degree. But it is all up to you bro. L8r.

--------------------------
|FuK| Ghost Face Killa
You Got Fucked By Fuk!
--------------------------
--------------------------|FuK| Ghost Face KillaYou Got Fucked By Fuk!--------------------------
Last I heard Full Sail had a 100% job placement rate, although that doesn''t really mean a whole lot.

--
Float like a butterfly, bite like a crocodile.

--Float like a butterfly, bite like a crocodile.
Advertisement
I''m gonna'' hold to what I said previously about this:

If you want to program, I think you''d probably be better off in front of your computer with $1000 worth of books.

If you want to do art, Full Sail seems like a good place. They have a long list of modellers/animators at EA, Midway, etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement