🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Software used for this type of cinematics

Started by
17 comments, last by Barzona 6 years, 10 months ago

I've noticed that a lot of games are using

" rel="external">this kind of style - a combo of stills and shifting perspective with occasional animations.

What software is used to make these types of intros and cutscenes?

Advertisement

Video is unavailable....

5 minutes ago, trjh2k2 said:

Video is unavailable....

I've copypasted the link into three different browsers, cookies cleaned, and they all played fine.

So, I don't know what to tell you. Are you from China?

Seems to work now, not sure what was up with it before.  Looks like something you could do with pretty much any video editing software- something like Premiere could do that pretty easily.

8 minutes ago, trjh2k2 said:

Seems to work now, not sure what was up with it before.  Looks like something you could do with pretty much any video editing software- something like Premiere could do that pretty easily.

You mean After Effects?

Premiere is for editing, while the other is for compositing.

Nope. I meant Premiere.  There's nothing in that video that can't be done in Premiere.  After Effects would be overkill for that IMO.

As trjh2k2 said, pretty much any video editing software can do that.

I'm not sure if you're asking about some specific part of that video, but the begining is almost composed of still images, and the "animation" is mostly moving still images with some effects (like squashing and stretching) and camera work.

Besides high level tools like Premiere and Vegas, you can also do that in simpler tools like Synfig Studio (which targets 2D animation). I won't be surprised if that is built into their game engine.

This is so simple you could just use your engine for it. Nothing special except the depth blur.

I would recommend Blender, the opensource 3D tool. It has a easy to use depth blur. It should take around 2 weeks to learn all the effects used in the linked movie.

Or you could just hire a artist who will already have there own software of choice and provide you with a video.

12 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

I would recommend Blender, the opensource 3D tool. It has a easy to use depth blur. It should take around 2 weeks to learn all the effects used in the linked movie.

Again, I think that's overkill.  A simple video editor with some keyframes should take all of 2 hours to figure out and throw something like this together, not two weeks.  I've tried using Blender to make videos before and it's not new-user friendly at all.

On 8/16/2017 at 3:09 PM, trjh2k2 said:

A simple video editor with some keyframes should take all of 2 hours to figure out

Yes, however consider this:

To make a game you either need 2D or 3D assets for it, Blender can make both. You need animations for your game, Blender can make it and is a lot better than most payed 2D animation software and better than a few 3D payed animation software.

Then there is the fact that making the game assets in Blender is very similar to making a movie in Blender, so spending two weeks learning how to do these things in Blender is more beneficial to your game than spending two hours learning how to do this using software that can only compose movies.

However that is only my opinion, I know other people like having multiple software to do the job of one. I have a colleague who does this, when I asked him why he said it helped him keep organized.

He also gave other reasons however I was able to disprove them easily.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement