🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Next generation games

Started by
59 comments, last by Paladin 24 years, 4 months ago
This one regarding the V-R glasses etc... Anyone heard about this new-tech(don''t have link ) where they actually paint the screen on your retina with a laser. They been using this with the military but a company is developing a cusumer level product. For my understanding you basiclly wear a laser-headset, the headset will shoot a laser INTO your eyes and project a screen onto your eyes. I think this would be really cool, it could change the current situation with the VR glasses. What do you guys think?
Advertisement

Hahaa !!! We won''t hurt you ;D
You have IDEA, that is not clone of something that is just burger stuff that markets are full. Remember that this kind of ideas usually make best reviews ... but thanks to poor audience, don''t sell well

Anyway, I think that platform games should make come back, let me explain:

My basis about next-generation games lay under HARDCORE ENGINE, that is next-gen in meaning of word... well, kind of:
As I told before about future of 3D-games, I was explaining that some company should create standard engine, which can be expanded, and will become this virtual-world, because people simply don''t have time to program every damn physics of grass again and again.

Same with 2D games ! Honestly, have you people played any of these games:

Auts
V-wing (best!)
Turboraketti / Turborocket
Sub... what is that net only game ? Sub something...

This are just examples: Think about this games, all are games where players simply have asteroids-style controls, bitmap worlds, and deathmatch... DAMN FUN ENTERTAIMENT :D
But we are missing something, and that is "deep" system. All these games are using own engine and system, but are just clones against each other. If I would create new clone for this games, I would simply license from one of the creators, and expand this old 2D-world to new more complicated system. Throw stuff like:

Support to 3D-cards (for better graphics)
Capture The Flag Mode
Ground Vehicles with hovercraft equipment (only short flying) and so on and so on.

This is the way how we can create more complicated worlds. Ofcourse I could create all own engine and game, but what''s the point ? Again new clone without anything new, because I got bored to create lots of new things after I programmed new engine allmost one year !

This is what I believed that happend to Quake III; it became more just new engine, than new game. Lets see Unreal Tournament in other hand: Just couple of new features for graphics (old engine was cool already , way better network code, and ... WOU ! "We have lot''s of empty time to create new stuff !" , and after adding modes like Assault, Domination, and MOD''s, game beats Quake III in my opinion, because it''s more comprehensive and deeper experience, than new engine with old deathmatch.

This is exactly what I meant with using standard engines. Think about sequel of Quake III, IF it''s done with Quake III engine, with new graphic libraryes and lot''s of new cool features, NOT NEW BASE ENGINE !

Hmm... I think "that''s all folks"... For this time
I''m REALLY glad that you people have been giving your visions about next-generation of gaming, and I''m waiting for more opinions

Ouh, and reply for last post:

I think that this new technology is going to be cool
Also I''m waiting for new headset, that use electronics to give shocks on your ears, that cause you to feel that you are rolling around, so it''s actually making your inner ear feel what you see in the game. Sounds REALLY COOL !
I checked this company''s homepage, and it really looks & sounds cool, because then you could "feel" like being in the game... and don''t worry, those shocks are not 10000 volts ;D

I think that someone posted link for this page at beginning of this discussion.

Paladin, are you from Finland, too?-)
Just thought so because you knew those cave-fliers so well... I am actually making a one myself Any good ideas for a 2d cave-flier game?
Yap, I''m from Finland !

Right now I''m an exhange-student at USA, Midland, Michigan. I just finished my Highschool at Finland.

Hmm... Ideas for cave-fighters:

Make engine up as fast as you can, and spend rest of the time with new ideas, not with new technology !

Make resolution to be 320x200 - 640x480, atleast. Use Direct-X (even after I have never used it, I know that it''s "the only way to fly"
Add new ideas ! Create level-editor, which lets player to load bitmap files, and lay those to create parallax backgrounds. One problem with old 256 color -level creating system is that the person who is creating levels, CANNOT create transparent earth easily. Also forget the old system, which is that color 45 is "base" color, which causes repair, it''s history ! Add this base and so on features on level editor.
Maybe try adding 4 wheel truck which can hover only a while in the air, and uses magnets to stay on the ground (so it can actually be upside down from ceiling !).
Hmm... Add tournament mode, with additional features like: worst player is dropped from next level and so on.
Add computer players (this is MUST !)
Add capture the flag mode
Add new guns that other games didn''t add, like forcefield bomb and so on.
Multiplayer also is must for this kind of game !

and PLEASE: Play V-wing ! It''s absolutely the best cave-fighter game, even after it''s little old. It has the best physics that I ever saw in any cave fighter. Also it has really nice computer players, mod-music player, win95 support (hey ! it''s originally dos-code, and works still on windowed mode !), and it has REALLY cool weapons

This are just couple of ideas. I really mean that you CANNOT create new king of cave fighters by adding one or two new ideas, you have create the MOST DEEPEST cave fighter to get audience to play it. Play games like Unreal Tournament and other cave fighters, and copy the best ideas, and add MUCH new ones.

(it feels silly to write english to a finnish person.. and we are talking about cave-fliers that only finnish people know )

Yeah forgot to tell I have already made my game for over a year so it''s quite complete now =). Yes, it manages the docking problem well, it has computer players and high resolutions with direct-x.

But the idea of differently behaving vehicles is great! Ufo''s (that don''t actually turn but only fly directly in the direction you make them to go), cars and hovercrafts add really much depth to a genre like this. So everybody don''t have that typical AUTS-ship to fly with.

CTF maybe needs too much players. But I''m planning to make an internet mode also.

Well, I''ll just get back playing V-wing

-Hans
(it feels silly to write english to a finnish person.. and we are talking about cave-fliers that only finnish people know )

Yeah forgot to tell I have already made my game for over a year so it''s quite complete now =). Yes, it manages the docking problem well, it has computer players and high resolutions with direct-x.

But the idea of differently behaving vehicles is great! Ufo''s (that don''t actually turn but only fly directly in the direction you make them to go), cars and hovercrafts add really much depth to a genre like this. So everybody don''t have that typical AUTS-ship to fly with.

CTF maybe needs too much players. But I''m planning to make an internet mode also.

Well, I''ll just get back playing V-wing

-Hans
I''m not from Finland, so you''ll have to excuse my ignorance, but is there a place where I could download a demo of this V-wing game? It sounds interesting.

-Dave

You can find V-wing probably from
www.finnishgames.com
If you can''t find V-wing, try Wings (good playability), Tappo2 (good gfx) and Rocket Chase (some peoples favourite). They all can be found from the finnishgames server (witch seemed to be down today).

Cave-fliers don''t have very good graphics in general, but they have killer playability. And they are usually played with two or more people on same keyboard, although some of them have computer players also. Well, see for yourself =)

-Hans
TERRIBLE MISTAKE !!! V-wing is not as good as WINGS ;DDD
I was talking about wings all the time, when I actually wrote about V-wing

I''m BIG Wings fan ! That game just rocks so hard ;D
I was involved in creating levels for wings, and my friend was too (Ossi Ojutkangas, you might find he''s "hellish" levels in wings, and probaply some electronic fields too)

Hmm... it has been quite a while since I played cave fighter last time ;D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement