🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Unity Question: Is there a way I can record object transforms as keyframes (in real time) and save the animation?

Started by
1 comment, last by Shaarigan 3 years, 8 months ago

Hello everybody new to the forums ?

I just bought an Oculus Quest and wondered if there's a way I can bake my real time movements into keyframes in Unity? The idea is to export the recorded animation as an FBX so I can edit it elsewhere like Blender.

I'm currently using Final IK in order to get my body to move with just my hands and head movements, but I can't even imagine how to record these movements with Unity.

Feel free to suggest paid solutions if necessary (hopefully not too expensive though). Thanks you!

None

Advertisement

Unity transforms have the hasChanged property you could use to detect if a transform is changed and run a frame counter to generate a file you later can process. But I guess this is very complicated as VR Rigs have multiple transform targets you must grab every frame to get your “video capture” of the play session.

After that you should get the object data in edit mode and generate your FBX based on the mesh and transform targets. Unity can't create FBX from plain data so you have to use the FBX SDK or any equivalent solution as Unity Plugin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement