Advertisement

Mesa "make install" giving me problems

Started by January 10, 2002 05:40 PM
7 comments, last by Some Guy 22 years, 8 months ago
I downloaded Mesa v4.01 today, and I have compiled it without any problems. I typed: $ ./configure and it did its thing there. Then: $ make and it compiled the whole thing without problems. But then: $ make install Nope. Doesn''t work. It tries to install Mesa in the /usr/local/ directory, but it gives an error saying "Access Denied." Apparently, mkdir may have some problems with some of my directories, though I really don''t know why. I think I had this problem with another program a few weeks ago, but I honestly can''t remember what it was. It could be a partition problem, I guess; though I think my partitions are big enough, so size shouldn''t be an issue... right? I don''t know. Please help, eh. Obviously I''m not gonna be able to give all my information here, so I would appreciate it if you point to some faq or howto or something like that. Thanx.
Were you root for the "make install" step? This may be a stupid question, but I have to ask it .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Advertisement
Root? You mean was I logged in as root? Nah.

...Oh, I understand...

Since Linux is a Unix clone, and Unix is one of those systems used by universities and stuff where many people access the same system, Linux adopts many of the same restrictions that Unix puts on its users. And I know that it''s a general rule at schools-- from grade school on up to universities-- that all users but the head of the class, the teacher or professor, canNOT install any programs without permission from the head, or root user. Is that what''s giving me problems?
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
Root? You mean was I logged in as root? Nah.

...Oh, I understand...

Since Linux is a Unix clone, and Unix is one of those systems used by universities and stuff where many people access the same system, Linux adopts many of the same restrictions that Unix puts on its users. And I know that it''s a general rule at schools-- from grade school on up to universities-- that all users but the head of the class, the teacher or professor, canNOT install any programs without permission from the head, or root user. Is that what''s giving me problems?

The answer to your problem is log in as root and then run make install. If you aren''t root, you can''t install, if you want a complete history of how linux works or if you actually plan on coding for linux, I recommend you get a good book about how linux works first...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash
[Cyberdrek | ]
You don''t have to e logged in as root.

You can run configure with the --prefix command and substitute a default installation directory, eg. your home directory.

./configure --prefix=/home/someuser/local

type ./configure --help for a list of other configuration options.

-Alek

Yeah, well, I''ve installed it under root. Should work, but I haven''t tested it just yet.

And, Cyberdrek, I use Mandrake. Mandrake comes w/ ebooks on Linux-- both using it and programming for it.

And <i><b>THAT''s</i></b> the last word cuz <i><b>I</i></b> said so.
Advertisement
Forgive me if im sounding condesending, but its somthing that totaly frustrated me for a while. Remember that mesa will give you framerates of like 2fps for even simple things. If your video card supports it, look into dri (dri.sourceforge.net) or download the nvidia drivers (www.nvidia.com).

ignore this if you knew this, just trying to be helpful
Yes, but I do not understand why the Mesa makefiles does not have any goals for DRI? Has anyone found some information about it? I looked at the Mesa site but it gives at least me the impression that a build is supported.
quote: Original post by Obelix
Yes, but I do not understand why the Mesa makefiles does not have any goals for DRI?

DRI is a seperate and independent effort.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement