Advertisement

Samba Woes...

Started by January 20, 2002 09:23 PM
1 comment, last by Floppy 22 years, 7 months ago
Hello, I have been tinkering with getting Samba to work with my home network for the past couple of days. My network consists of 3 computers, 2 of them are dual boot (Red Hat 7.2 and Windows ME) the other one is strictly Windows 98. I know that my network is setup properly since I've networked them all before I installed Linux, and I can ping each machine from each computer. From my main Samba server computer everything goes well under Red Hat; I can access shares with smbclient by doing this: [Tux@server samba]$ smbclient '\\192.168.1.102\test' -U kchamman Where kchamman is a user that is set up properly with smbpasswd and the server's users. 192.168.1.102 is the server's IP address; test is a share defined in my smb.conf. My smb.conf looks like this:

[global]
        workgroup = LEGENDS
        encrypt passwords = yes

[test]
        comment = For testing only, please
        path = /export/samba/test
        read only = no
        guest ok = yes

The problem arises when I try to connect to the network form my other machines. Neither windows or linux can access it. On Linux using smbclient I get a connection refused, that leads me to believe that I am getting access, but not really. On Windows I get a cannot browse network message. The interesting thing is that if I try to telnet or ftp into my server, I get a connection refused message just the same as I did when I tried to use smbclient. This leads me to believe that ftp or tcp isn't running as a daemon on my Red hat 7.2 server. I tried getting xinetd to run telnet, but that didn't help. Do I have to edit hosts.allow and hosts.deny? They both are blank (except for the comments). I have a linksys router that uses DHCP. The IP Addresses are: 192.168.1.100 // The Red Hat 7.2/Win ME 192.168.101 // The strictly windows 98 192.168.1.102 // The server (Red Hat 7.2/Win ME) I have the right lines in /etc/services and /etc/xinetd.d/. Do you need any more information? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Edited by - Floppy on January 20, 2002 10:25:36 PM
I changed my hosts.allow to this:
ALL: 127.0.0.1
ALL: 192.168.1.

hosts.deny looks like this
ALL: ALL

I still get a connection refused message.
Advertisement
YES!!!!!!!!

I figured it out!!!!

I remembered back to when I installed Red Hat, and thought about that screen that asked you about your firewall and whether or not it would accept telnet ftp dhcp, etc. I searched around about how I could see what my setttings were.

I found the program in /usr/sbin/setup. I ran it, and went into firewall configuration and guess what, my firewall was set at HIGH. That means it couldn't accept ANY outside connection (no wonder I kept on getting connection refused). I set it to no firewall for now (I'll configure all that ipchains and iptables etc. once I get my network up). I raced back over to my windows machines, and tried to get access to a share with net use x: \\server\test, and voila, I could access my temp drive. Network Neighborhood isn't quit working right, but I think I know how to fix that.

Hooray!!!!

Edited by - Floppy on January 21, 2002 2:01:52 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement