OS

Started by
3 comments, last by SigwarthSoft 24 years, 6 months ago
ok. hi. i just need source no books or whatever. I thougt the linux source code was free available. if you know source codes (full) of other os''s please give me the link. Thanks in advance. although not many people come here......... SigwarthSoft sigwarthsoft@hotmail.com icq#: 62538030 Maastricht, Netherlands Stefan Sigwarth
Advertisement
Ok, the total source to the Linux KERNEL is at kernel.org. But if you want to develop your own OS and refuse to use any technical books, you must know that a kernel does not an OS make.

To find some basic UNIX-esk utils, go to www.gnu.org, for a start. There, you can find source to such useful utilities as cp, mv, mknod,and init. You''ll need these if you want to actually do anything with your kernel... like boot it. The combination of GNU utilities and the Linux kernel is why some people want to call the full system GNU/Linux, rather than just Linux.

You''ll also want to look into filesystem structure. I suggest a journalling filesystem such as ReiserFS or Ext3. I''ll assume you already know all the issues surrounding filesystems.

Having said this, please read about how to do what you want to do, if you haven''t already. Also, this is a GAME DEVELOPER''S webpage, not an OS developers webpage. I, personally, am not interested in writing a threaded page service in a kernel, let alone helping someone else do it.

Last, but not least, please STOP posting a new thread every time you want to say something. Just keep it all to one thread.

-BenC

Check out:
http://www.500mhz.net/
Are journaling file systems in use in any production OSs?
Yes, journaling filesystems are in use in production machines. Although i don''t know of any Linux distribution that uses them as the default, i do know of a few people that use ReiserFS in a mission-critical place, such as the Worldforge Project.

Furthermore, i believe that journalling filesystems have been in use in other UNIX''s for a while now, though i could be mistaken, as any *nix you have to pay for is not of much interest to me. I''m not sure of the current states of any of the BSDs with regard to journaling filesystems.

Anyway, lets get back to game discussion.

-BenC

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement