Advertisement

Reason for going to linux?

Started by February 21, 2002 11:31 AM
4 comments, last by executor_2k2 22 years, 6 months ago
I used to run linux, but when I built my computer recently, I just installed WinXP. My current computer interests gaming and game programming. With that in mind is there any reason to go back to linux? Thanks.
Well, that was a waste of 2 minutes of my life. Now I have to code faster to get 'em back...
if you ran linux and liked it why switch to another, thats the question, it all comes down to your specific needs.
May the code be with us !
Advertisement
Considering you''re into gaming, you won''t have much luck on Linux. Unfortunately, games are usually an after-thought to the Linux market. It''s sort of a chicken - egg argument. Can''t sell games unless people are buying, people aren''t buying cause they aren''t selling games.

In any event, if you want to learn Programming, there is probably nothing better than Linux. It is very WELL documented (comparatively) as an OS, making it very easy to see what''s "under the hood". Because most of the software distributed with Linux is also Open Source, you can easily read the source code yourself when you find something that you would like to know how it works.

Personally, I don''t program as much lately with my Master''s courses and busy work schedule, but I definitely enjoy programming more on Linux than I do on Windows. I think *nix based APIs and system calls just seem more intuitive.

G''luck with either choice, both are good choices.

Rube
quote: Original post by executor_2k2
I used to run linux, but when I built my computer recently, I just installed WinXP. My current computer interests gaming and game programming. With that in mind is there any reason to go back to linux? Thanks.

Basicly, that question can't be answered by someone else than yourself, People who run Linux, run it because they like it, people who run Windows run for either of these resons here: they don't have a choice since it's the most popular OS and most new computers come with it, they don't know that other OS exist, or they simply like Windows( and No, there's no shame in liking Windows ). I run Linux because it is a viable compromise and I don't like encouraging a company (Microsoft) that buys out all competitors. So with that said, these are my views on the topic, the choice is entirely up to you. ( BTW, I have a multi-boot with Windows in case I feel like playing games. All other stuff is done through Linux, well, almost ).

"And that's the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek

Resist Windows XP's Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash

Edited by - cyberdrek on February 23, 2002 1:14:19 AM
[Cyberdrek | ]
I''m just now getting into linux, and will code games for it. It seems to me that your in a perfect position to do the same. Combine your love for games with your coding skills and experience with linux and write linux games!

Think about it.

Ravyne
Owner/Lead Programmer & Designer
NYN Interactive Entertainment
HTTP://www.NYNInteractive.cjb.net

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Just for easiest programmation (gcc more understandable),
for speed (an opengl programm always more fast than in Windows).

Fratt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement