🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Scrolling Arcade Style Games?

Started by
16 comments, last by Imperitus 24 years, 4 months ago
I know 3D is the hot thing right now, but I''m sick of them... Where are all the Scrolling shooters, the next generation of Gallaga, zaxon etc... ? Where are the games where I don''t ahve to think about anything except shoot everything? I know it''s a simplistic game style, but I miss the arcade games that you stick you quarter in and start shooting. Just imagine the games we could have in that field with today’s pc''s... amazingly beautiful, depth of field effects, slick transparencies and FX etc... Blood pumping stereo music, teeth rattling explosions... Where are they? Please someone bring them back.
Advertisement
I´m not alone it seems.....

I miss them too. About 2 months ago I dusted off the old Amiga 500 because I wanted to play some SWIV and Battle Squadron...Unfortunately my Amiga was not working....

3D is not the problem..Scrolling Shooters could be made in 3D if anyone cared to do so. You would have to resist using the option of placing the view inside the spaceship though..

Edited by - granat on 2/17/00 5:55:51 AM
-------------Ban KalvinB !
granat... if I remember right it was some danish guys that did Battle Squadron.

I''m thinking of picking out my old amiga again too, for nostalgia and inspiration. Have a big box with about 1500 disks, mostly demos. Will bring back some nostalgia.

Ahh, the Amiga. I wish I hadn't sold it a couple of years ago. When reading these posts I felt like playing some Alien Breed. Anyone else liked that game?

I saw some time ago that Team17 is working on Alien Breed Conflict, I wonder what it will be like. I know it will be in 3D though, but from the screenshot I saw it looks to be like Expendable. Anyone know anything else about this game?

Edited by - Spellbound on 2/17/00 8:42:50 AM
Yap, I can remember one really cool beatem''up game that was called Guardian Heroes (Sega Saturn, 96). It''s absolutely one of the best arcade style games that I have ever played. It was kind of "double dragon" punch/kick game in anime fantasyworld, with magic, dead knights and so on. Game was long, and it had about 20 different endings, depending how player wanted the plot to go.
It is really great game, if you ever have change to play this "long time forgotten" game, do so !

As for PC, I would recommend to buy Tyrian 2000, it''s shareware game from Epic (mega)games, and new version of old Tyrian, with only difference to original that it supports W9x platform and doesn''t crash. Tyrian IS *the* scroller shooter ! Long and comprehensive. Tyrian includes MANY nice levels, and two player support that is extremely cool: If ships collide, second player becomes co-gunner and ships transform to big ship Electronics Boutique is selling this CD for 4-5 bucks, so it''s not bad deal at all.
ARGH ! I''m going to get that game right after getting out from school :D

Another good shooter ala Zaxxon, is from Housemarque (Supremesnowboarding / Snowboarding Zone, Alien Incident), and it''s called "The Reap". Reap didn''t get good points on magazines because it''s "old school spaceship shooter", but I own this game and I have to say that if you can find it for 10-15 bucks, get it

Hmm... And Laser Age is pretty fun "shoot everything" freeware game, and it can be found from typical shareware sites. I think that Tyrian 2000 shareware is also moving in internet (hint hint

What do this kind of zaxxon / Xenon style games need ? Well, good graphics with lots of parallax backgrounds, lots of weapons, multiplayer support, good Scene-music (demoscene), LOTS OF LEVELS, and some strategy elements that let player to choose some parts of the game. Personally somekind of plot would be nice too, and Robotech style anime characters would be big plus.

i found a new side scroller game. it is called silencer. you can get it at www.won.net. it is a multiplayer with up to 64 players. it is kind of neat.

- Moe -
This style of game is dead for profeesionals games, but amateur devlopement team can still make great 2d scroller games...

Evryone here seem to be nostalgic...im to!

i just reinstall Indiana jone and the fate of Atlantis...a 1992 game...still good!
I wouldn''t say 2D side scrollers are dead. I still see new products coming out. Although I don''t see the amount of ingenuity put into the 2D games are there is in the 3D.

E:cb woof!
E:cb woof!
All you people talking about amigas and side scrolling shoot-em-ups but no one seemed to mention Blood Money! Anyone remember that game? I liked it because it changed direction on you and you could shoot forwards and backwards. I remember i washed my disk1 in the laundry and that was the end of that game... until winUAE.

Just a quick question. Do you think emulation is wrong if you own the system and the game and they just don''t work? Blown fuse in a Commadore, or a disk that just lost its magnetic personality... I sure don''t
Tarzan is a 3D side scroller/variant! Very impressive I might add.
William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement