any extra software required ????

Started by
5 comments, last by lazy_cod3R 24 years, 5 months ago
hello dudes wats up ?? i have a question is any extra software required wen networking linux to windows, i have got everything working from win to win but i cant even ping the linux machine from the windows one wen i try to network the windows and the linux.. keeps timming me out ... if any extra software is required can you please tell me were to get it from .. thanx lazy_cod3R you have moved the mouse please restart windows for changes to take effect :) :)
you have moved the mouse please restart windows for changes to take effect :) :)
Advertisement
No extra software should be needed outside the kernel and the network module. So are you sure that the linux network module is loaded and the IP specified? Are you on the correct subnets?

btw, I''m sure that a Linux webpage would be more help than a game development forum.
yeh i have specified the ip using netcfg and the subnets where automatically initialised wen i specified the ip.

can u give me a specific linux webpage where there is a forum like this also... would be greatly appreciated..
thanx

ps. how do i load the network module
dam .....didnt know u had to do that.. thought only specifiying an ip for the linux box was all that was required for it to work ?!?!

lazy_cod3R
Loading the network module is in the How-To''s and the man pages. As far as extra software is concerned, if you want to do any file and print sharing between Windows and Linux, you''ll need to set up something like Samba (which comes stock with Red Hat, don''t know about other distros) to get that enabled.
great thanx alot

you have moved the mouse please restart windows for changes to take effect :) :)
you may have already fixed your problem by now, but I just came upon this post and thought I''d offer a suggestion or two: are you using IP masquerading for this network? if not, how is your network set up?
you know wat man i havnt fixed it... and i was so really pissed of
i loaded all the modules using, did all the ip settings .
i dont get ip maq... wat is that wat do i have to do with that .

this is the setup.. really easy..
2 comps one running win 98 one running linux.
both have ethernet cards connected straight to each other.
i want to be able to telnet and ftp into my linux xyxtem from the windows. i also want to be able to use xwin32 from my windows system.
i have connected a lin to lin and win to win but i cant do this win to linux setup...
is there something im missing

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement