🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

No more RPGs!

Started by
68 comments, last by Landfish 24 years ago
Joke: When is a RPG not a RPG? (No answer, it just suited the topic)
Seriously...
I had an intriging thought today about the "when is a rpg not a rpg syndrome". There has been some posts on renaming RPG''s etc, that have cropped up in various threads relating to this one. My thought is this:
CPG = Character Playing Game
RPG = you know
I say let the game companies work out how to make their game a RPG and until then we''ll just frame them as CPG''s until were happy.

Diablo = CPG fact!

Critise to you hearts delite because i''m ready to argue for this cause. Or against, depending on you persective ;-)

If your a little confused then read my previous posts <--- that would make a conveinent profile signature.
Advertisement
Landfish,
Yeah, I realized your methods a while ago. If nothing else, you've made the board a much more active place even if 90% of the people reading it completely miss your point

BTW, there are a couple MMORPG's that are free in development. Eraonline and
Majik (<--I think you'd like that one) are two that come to mind.

With Eraonline, he got a company to give him a server. Probably in return for advertising on the website or something. I'm not sure. With Majik, I'm not sure how they're financing it. Maybe all the developers are already wealthy...I don't know...

Edited by - Nazrix on June 21, 2000 12:58:24 AM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Dude RPG''s are artwork, they are to let the player experience the story and feel the emotions of the characters. Why the hell do rpg''s suck?

I guess some people like them and some people dont but that is no reason to go telling everyone to give up on thier projects thats screwed up
Niphty,
You forgot Dodge sucks too. Stupid car I bought needs $1100 worth of repairs...

Frag_Daddy_,
Dude, you're going to give Landfish a damned heart-attack. He explicitly said that he is not trying to stop the production of RPG's. He's merely saying that the genre of RPG brings about people including the exact same things over and over. People hear RPG, and they think of some guy running around with a sword hacking things to pieces then going to a town and buying up some supplies. His point is that a lot of people who develop games don't even attempt to try something new. We really don't know what an RPG is exactly, but we do know that it has something to do w/ a guy running around w/ a sword hacking things, and he has a bunch of stats that tell him how good he is...etc.etc.etc...you can fill in the rest...

Sorry for speaking for you, Landfish, but I'm concerned for your emotional stablility.

Edited by - Nazrix on June 21, 2000 12:51:40 AM

Edited by - Nazrix on June 22, 2000 1:24:08 AM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
OoMMMoO, you''re really missing the point...He''s not saying drop your projects. He is merely saying don''t rely on the stigma of what we consider an RPG to be. You have to read between the lines of the speech of the Landfish.
LOL.. guys.. listen to Naz. Landfish did not say to stop making your game. He said don''t make it the stereotypical "RPG" game. Try incorporating something DIFFERENT, something NEW, something that''s cool. And don''t call it an RPG or you''ll get lumped with all the others.

J
p.s. be very worried about Landfish''s emotional state, i think i''ve caused his breakdown.. hehe!
When designing my ''CRPG'', I first think about it as a RPG since the game was story driven and I tested the quality of the story by playing it as a pen & paper RPG.

After that I realise that I wasn''t playing pen&paper RPG as almost anyone does.
Then I think about it.
I look @ games called RPG that sold well, and I try to find why by playing them.
I play some other games named ''Adventure games'' lik OutCast, and I feel that it wasn''t sofar to what I wanted to achieve.

Finally I choose to call my game :
Adventure, RPG, strategic, interactive storytelling game.

What I wanted :
Outcast 3d engine quality, jokes and immersivness with new world to explore, Final Fantasy quality battle system along with FF quality FMV and music, Metal Gear Solid action, freedom and immersivness, music and story.
I later describe my games using those different games to highlit the type of action/settings at a given moment, I add Resident Evil to the list, and some few other games.

I still consider my game of being in the ''RPG'' genre, and I don''t think that I rely on classical ''RPG'' settings or just cut & paste another game.

I wanted to make the game I would love to play, and I designed it that way, using the part of other games I enjoy to explain people willing to join my project, or I wanted to help me making my game good, and I feel that''s a good way.
(UBISoft Game Designer Manager told me it was a really good idea to compare part of my game with other well known games, he told me he found that pretty cool cause people understand quickly what I wanted to achieve.)

Does someone think that I''ve designed a standard RPG game, that I rely on a genre to copy previous game design ?

-* So many things to do, so few time to spend *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
I reckon we''ll either have to ignore all the ignorant I-didn''t-read-the-thread-but-flamed-anyway posts, or get permission to moderate them out ourselves, they are just fluffing and diverting the discussion.

So, guys, are we going to start discussing what WOULD make a good gaming experience based on the strong points of LARPing?
( If you have never done Live Action RolePlaying, you''ve missed out , I used to do it even in our tabletop gaming sessions, which freaked a LOT of the players out. Standing up and shouting at my adversaries, or just getting into a corner of the room and eyeing everyone if I got distrustful ).

I think it doesn''t need a strong story. It needs a strong EXPERIENCE. A strong story can convey this, but perhaps there are other ways?

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment..
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
F*ck, let''s just make good games! We are talking about wether we should call games RPG, StRPG, MMORPG, whatever, I mean, it''s stupid; let''s just make GAMES! Throw away all the categorys like RPG, FPS, RTS, whatever, forget them! I hate categorization into genres, I hate it in films, and I hate it in music. Why not just take the best of everything? Categorys lead to a smaller horizon. Just like style; I hate style. Do what you want, and what fits best, and crap your style, be it in life or in creating computer games.

BTW, I was the first anonymous poster, forgot to fill in my name. The other anonymous poster abused my message quite, since I don''t agree with him, but he quoted me totally out of context.
--------------------------Ghosts crowd the young child's fragile eggshell mind...
Oh, and Landfish, I hate you, because you want us to burn all RPGs in the world and everybody currently develpoing one; for this I will hunt you down and eventually kill you in a week-long torture!
--------------------------Ghosts crowd the young child's fragile eggshell mind...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement